Highlighter Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdivegal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Everybody

I have a brand new 1 month old tank. The cycle is finished and water readings are where they are supposed to be. NO fish in tank, just a lightfoot, 3 hermits and 2 snails about 90 lb of lr in a 72 gallon, with wet/dry, and skimmer

I have a couple of algae questions.

#1 I have a BRIGHT green algae growing It is about this color. It is appearing in patches and on the very corners of LR. It sort of looks like someone took a green highlighter and colored the rocks with it. No hair or tentacles! What kind is it? GOOD or BAD??

#2 I have a Red about this color. It is appearing like little dots of red on all of the rocks. Looks a little hairy. What is it? GOOD or BAD??

#3 Last one I swear (for now anyways) I have purple algae growing everywhere. Looks like rock the rock is just changing colors.

Thanks for your awesome help and advice! Us newbies really need it!

Hello? Does anyone know these algae?
I had a death in my family (Sally Lightfoot crab) and would like to know if the aglae is what killed her. Thanks for letting in on any ideas!

I doubt the algae had anything to do with the crab dying. Without any pics, I would have to say your tank is just going thru the normal algae blooms that all new tanks get.
When you say "water readings are where they are supposed to be" what are you testing for and exactly what are the readings. Also, what kind of water are you using to make your saltwater and for top offs due to evaporation?

Good practices will win in the end.

Use R/O water, eliminate all things that could be contributing phosphate to the system. Weed. Wait. If the tank is new, these kinds of problems are pretty normal. Time and good habits will get you through.

I used tap water to start. But now I am using R/O water for top offs. I haven't done a water change yet? Should I?

pH 8.2, NH 0 N02 = 0 NO3 = 0

I have tons of diatom algae. + these other 2

The pictures are blurry but you can see the colors.

Maybe someone can tell me how to take pictures or is that on another site?? LOL :D

The purple algae looks like coraline algae, which is good!

There is another discussion group on this site particularly related to photography...but quick advice would be to ensure your camera has a "macro" or close-up mode. This adjusts the focus of the lens to very small ranges so you MIGHT be able to get focus.

Back
Top Bottom