Id a nem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pryzz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and girls,

Wondering what type of anemone this is. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image-2534477955.jpg
    image-2534477955.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 116
Cool, thanks for the info. Hope it does well in my tank.

what color is the stem/foot? if its red it would look exactly like mine and mines a condy.

Sniperhank said:
Usually you dont see sebeas with purple tips. They are normally blue. The above mentioned would clearify. Purple tips and an orange foot is a condy.

When I worked at an LFS I sold dozens upon dozens of sebae anemones and the had predominantly purple tips. In addition Condy's have much longer and thicker tentacles than sebaes. The condy's tentacles also taper fatter at the base and skinnier at the tip, but it is not uncommon for them to form bubble tips like a bta, where a sebaes tentacles will be a more consistent thickness from base to tip. This is what I based my ID on and another way for the OP to ID his anemone.

My Sebae is purple-tipped, I believe it's a Sebae as well. It does look somewhat bleached though, it's almost translucent. The body looks too wide to be a Condy.

Interesting. Wonder how so many w/ purple tips have evaded my attention...but regardless. Im assuming it is a sebae as well, for the reasons you stated about the tentacles and wide body, but been fooled before and ive never known a sebae to have an orange foot.

Yeah, Sebae will not have an orange foot, that would def be a Condy, but I doubt the OP's Nem has an orange foot.

But then the question becomes have you ever seen a Condy with a white yellow, purple or beige foot, etc. Heteractis sp. anemones can have a wide variety of colors in their foot, although I've only seen H. crispa with white (bleached), yellow (typically dyed) and straw colored. All we can do is tell them what we think it is and why, they then need to google the choices and see what they think.

It's got an orange foot, but the tentacles are short and thin. I have googled them both a few times, still wasn't sure.

Pryzz said:
It's got an orange foot, but the tentacles are short and thin. I have googled them both a few times, still wasn't sure.

Heteractis malu and H. magnifica can have reddish or orange foot. Easiest way to tell, is price condy's should be about 10 bucks where a heteractis anemone should be 2-5 times as much.

If its got the orange foot, then I think it's H. Malu, still don't think it is a Condy.
Sorry for being presumptuous in the earlier post, didn't think it would have an orange foot, my bad...

Flreefer said:
If its got the orange foot, then I think it's H. Malu, still don't think it is a Condy.
Sorry for being presumptuous in the earlier post, didn't think it would have an orange foot, my bad...

We all make mistakes. Thanks everyone. I'll have to have a look.

Also, it's foot wasn't completely orange. Just the base.

Hmm...are condylactis nem local? In the us I would say that mean's it heteractis sp. not sure since your in Australia.

I only ever see BTA and carpet nems here. First time they've ever had them in stock and the mrs saw it and wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom