Is it a Mantis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermonter310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a critter I can't really see all that well. What I can see are the two front legs. The ones that scoop food etcetera into it's mouth. they have small "fans" at the ends. Could this be a Mantis? It's the only portion of it I can see and every day there seems to be more clams broken open and empty. Should I remove the rock it's in and dip it ? What dip works best to remove these from there hiding places. The rock is on top so it's not a problem to get to I just don't want to kill the other life on the rock.

As always any and all help/input is appriciated.

Mike

I just got a better look at him. It appears to be a crab. a dark reddish brown with small black spots. ??

Help any ??

Should I remove him ???

thanks again

Could be a Porcelain Crab. If so they are harmless filter feeders and pretty interesting.

Here's a pair of mine for reference:

porcelain%20pair.JPG

Thats what it looks like all right.
In all the Porcelain Crab pictures I've seen they are generally very light in color.
How can I locate the clam cracker ??? Never seen it and only occasionally hear a light tapping. Usually only one tap sometimes two.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks for the ID, I feel better about that guy now.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom