Is this green cyno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trnewsom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wouldn't worry about it too much but it seems to really bother my corals when it gets on them even a little. If it is green cyno, will the red cyno treatment work on it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394402428.021787.jpg

Color doesn't matter, cyano is cyano. Treatments will make cyano go away, but doesn't actually treat the causing issue. This is usually a nitrates and phosphates.

Yes, I've cut back lights and am doing water changes but I'm concerned about it hurting my corals before I can get rid of it.

I agree with mr x, i believe it's dinofallegates, black out the tank for 2-3 days THEN perform 2, 25% water changes. (1 water change a day) do not feed the fish. You want to get rid of as many nutrients as possible. Dinofallegates is a pain in the bum! I've been through it and it sucks. Took me about 1 month to remove it all

Also, if it gets out of hand it'll begin growing on the corals and it will kill inverts. It's toxic to inverts, never killed any of mine but I've heard it can happen.

Thanks for the input everyone. Starting blackout tomorrow.

If possible cover your tank in a thick enough blanket so no light gets through, I used an old comforter from a bed.

Well I Googled this and I'm sure that's my problem. I'm kind of bummed out about it. I was just building my tank back up from a Marine Velvet catastrophe in May of last year. Nothing to do I guess but start the fight and see what happens.

Thanks for the input everyone. Starting blackout tomorrow.

Well I Googled this and I'm sure that's my problem. I'm kind of bummed out about it. I was just building my tank back up from a Marine Velvet catastrophe in May of last year. Nothing to do I guess but start the fight and see what happens.

It's just an ugly outbreak of snot, it'll clear up if you put work into getting rid of it.

When I got rid of mine I added GFO in a HOB filter (aqua clear 50). It did help get rid of any phosphates that could've been used by the dinofallegates. I used ROWA Phos.

I'm starting the black out tonight. Can I leave the light in my sump on or turn it off too? It comes on at night when the other lights are off.

How's the dinofallegates? Has it started to disappear ?

Ive had dinos before and it wiped out all my snails. Nasty stuff, it took me months to get rid of it. Good luck with your battle.

I'm happy to report that the dino is much better. I covered the tank with a blanket for 48 hours and then left the lights off for another 24. I did a 20% water change, added some phosphate media and as of today, it is almost gone. Thanks to all who replied and helped me.

Back
Top Bottom