It saw me watching it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I could see two little white things poking out from a rock. So I stop and try to get a better look because I have not seen this before. Then this inch long thing goes jumping out of the hole like a rabbit. It was solid grey. I thought it was some type of super flying worm, because it moved so insanely fast I could not see it. It darted under a mojano ( thought I got all of those) then it's little white eyes started scoping out the area, every time one looked at me it hid. Then it came of hiding for a second, I think it wanted a better look at me then disappeared.

I have been home all day with a fever and thought I was seeing things. But was able to snap a cruddy pic. It seems to have a tail. I could not see its legs or any arms.

Any help as where to look for more info would be great.

Attachments

• dscf3850_135.jpg
    dscf3850_135.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 81
I was thinking along those lines. I tried really hard but could not see anything other than the body and eyes. Which left me to question.

I'd say it looks like some type of lobster. A closer, more detailed shot would be necessary to ID it better. I know that may be impossible.

Lobster? Huh. I guess the camera is going to live by the tank for a while.

Gonodactylellus affinis is the closest match as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm curious of that too. That's a pretty cool color. :) I blew the photo up a bit and I do believe it is a mantis as well. The behavior sure sound right.

The eyes certainly look like they are up on stalks and the description of how he couldnt see its claws, feet, hands etc then thats the perfect mantis description. I actually have 2 mantis in different tanks, one is a 6 inch male peacock and the other is a 2 1/2 inch male G.Platysoma from roys list.

Since Mantis shrimp change colors during molts to look more like their surroundings, it can be hard to ID when they are this small.

Try snapping a few more picks, we can get an ID on it and maybe you can setup a small 6g tank for it.

The color is pretty much dead on.

I just walked over to the tank to look around, and there he was. Slowly coming from a hole and starting to cross a turbo snail. I picked up the camera aimed then in a hole he went. Then it poked his eyes out of another hole. I feel as of now it is on, I will get a picture of him. It might take a while but I am going to win.

Try feeding it bits of meaty items. That could save a few snails and they can be trained to take food from a feeding stick.

That is really neat to know. Thanks.

So far today he has been quit active, I have ten pictures of little white eyes peering out of holes in the lr. Then little blurs. Its like a sick game of peek-a-boo.

Today he was a little bit pinker in color, I am not sure if they can change that fast or if I have two.

I did a water change today and found half a crab, I hope that was not him. But there is not really any thing else for him to eat I guess. You mentioned feeding him. How do I target feed him so food is not floating all over? Will he eat from a clip?

I found a feeding rod worked best. It's clear, cheap and doesn't freak them out as bad til they get used to it. They are really smart and once they figure out you are bringing food, they won't be so skittish. I would offer just small bits of shrimp. You could even just place it outside it's hole in the rock.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/feedingprong.html

Okay, I woke up to another half of a crab this morning.

I need the link to a trap, or directions.

Back
Top Bottom