Just found this in my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirk33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a new biocube 29. Put some live sand and live rock in there. I dropped a raw shrimp in there tonight to help cycle the tank and found this worm crawling on the shrimp just now. Should I be worried about this species?? Looks like a fire worm maybe?
Any info would be great. Thanks

image-2562702659.jpg

Yeah that looks like a fireworm to me. As far as I know they're bad.

Pryzz said:
Yeah that looks like a fireworm to me. As far as I know they're bad.

Define bad... Should I be worried.
I looked through the hitchhiker FAQ in this forum and have matched it up as a bristle worm. (fireworms are in the bristle worm category I believe).
The hitchhiker guide seems to indicate these worms can be beneficial, a cheap cleaning crew addition.
However I have also read they are bad and will eat coral, this only happening after they have gotten quite large. Anyone else have any more info on these guys?

I think it may be just a regular bristle worm but not 100% I always get rid of them anyways because they can irritate corals.

Bristleworm. For the most part harmless... The likelihood they they'll do any harm is minuscule. It's really only when they get real big...

I agree with bristle worm. I have them in my tank. They are harmless janitors.

dirk33 said:
Define bad... Should I be worried.
I looked through the hitchhiker FAQ in this forum and have matched it up as a bristle worm. (fireworms are in the bristle worm category I believe).
The hitchhiker guide seems to indicate these worms can be beneficial, a cheap cleaning crew addition.
However I have also read they are bad and will eat coral, this only happening after they have gotten quite large. Anyone else have any more info on these guys?

Sorry for the bad id. Never seen an orange bristle worm. So I assumed.

Back
Top Bottom