Leave this plant or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my smaller tank I have this 'stuff' growing like mad and I'm not sure if good/bad/neutral......it's in front of the yellow scroll coral.

img_923644_0_338b67203fa327face11a95f14c3f2ed.jpg

Looks like maidens hair algae. It can get out of control, and I'm not sure anything really eats it.

Ack! It's growing out of one main stalk so I'm guess I should just yank it from the bottom. Should I do anything to the spot it was growing from? Super glue over it or anything?

Is the macro covered in algae? Hard to tell, but if it is not most Maiden's Hair I've seen has rather straight strands and feels "wirey" to the touch. Looks almost chaeto-ish or even gracillaria-ish.....ish ish :) If it's not hurting anything I'd leave it, but then again I like algae.

Hmmm....Looks a lot like bryopsis to me. Is it somewhat feathery?

If it is bryopsis you should start pulling it out now and be prepared to do so on a regular basis.

Supposedly the lettuce nudibranc will eat it but I have yet to see that happen.

I pulled it last night and I can see that it's going to come back.....I couldn't get it every little piece. Funny tho'.....I miss the color of it now!

seen this before, will turn your tank to a smurff tank, hard to fix once it gets rolling hard. My bud solved it by turning back the lights, cooling the water, and dilligence pulling it out every few days. He had a severe case.

Back
Top Bottom