Need ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plexifan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me what kind of coral this is and it started looking limp like this recently like in the past day is it normal? I have had it for over three weeks now and it the first time it has ever been this limp. i Just did a PWC so the water is a bit cloudy. Thanks.

Attachments

• coral1.jpg
    coral1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 97
  • coral2.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 92
Ok, the water is cloudy. How do you do your PWC? Do you allow the salt time to actually dissolve in the water and the water time to reach temperature before putting it in your aquarium? sorry if they seem stupid q's but your water shouldn't be that cloudy.

Could be from the pouring of the water back in. My biocube looks like heck when i do a water change and I let my salt sit overnight usually. lol

yeah its just that the only time my water ever gets cloudy like that is when I clean filters or screw with the sand. I thought maybe some undissolved salt or minerals may have caused it and upset the coral.

thanks for the speedy responses, i get my saltwater from my LFS, its a 50g tank so i do 10g changes and have never had a problem its good quality water state of the art RO system and the water is always aerated. it usually doesn't get so cloudy but i cleaned the sand/ gravel, scrubbed some algae of the walls and disassembled and cleaned the protein skimmer. I suck the water out with the vacuum, and then i place the new water jug higher than the tank and use a hose to siphon the new salt water to the tank slowly, i don't just pour the water in.

im getting some water readings now...

ok so nothing out of the ordinary, 0 amonina, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 8.0 PH, salinity is 1.025, calcium around 480-500. the only one is carbonate (KH) at around 143ppm, is that too high?. temp is at 77 degrees. Anything else i can check???

what test kit are you using? that's a pretty high calcium level. are you adding calcium or any supplements at all?

i have been using API saltwater and reef kits for the test, with the test vials. and i have been using Purple Up to get some coralline algae going, not in the last few days though.

leave the purple up alone. your coralline will grow fine without it. i would do a couple water changes and wait and see. btw, i've found multiple (about a dozen) api calcium test kits to be way off. i'm betting your calcium level to be in the low to mid 300s. i would pick up a salifert calcium test kit to get a more accurate reading.

Back
Top Bottom