Need Id Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I got to work today I found these all over my glass and a lot of them. They appear to be slug like and about 3x the size of copepods. You can see them with your naked eye easily. Are they good or bad? TIA

Lou

Attachments

• p1010004_966.jpg
    p1010004_966.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
  • p1010005_661.jpg
    p1010005_661.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 35
flatworms/planaria..they are not considered good and can harm corals if you have any.

I agree they are flatworms, but I've never heard of this type being a harm to corals. If they start reproducing in mass proportions the best thing to do is look at your nutrient export. Are you skimming? What are your nitrate levels? How often are water changes and how often are you feeding? Lighting schedule? Generally these are harmless and can just be a nuisance to look at, but you want to avoid that beacuse they can keeep growing and growing until they are almost impossible to get rid of.

As far as getting rid of them, a turkey baster (syphon, don't squirt them off) or airline hose should work. Anything to get the out of the tank. Limit feedings and light schedule for a while. Peppermint shrimp are supposedly flatworm eaters as well, so you may want to look into that IF trying to limit nutrients doesn't help.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/flatworms.htm

Do you know a site online that shows pictures of these things?

Back
Top Bottom