Please help ID, Is this Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEA_Monkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These things just popped up a few days ago. They are in one area of one live rock only. The pictures are of the same cluster, just different shots.

75 gallon tank is about six weeks old. Purchased live rock was from an established tank that was neglected for a month or so when ownership of home changed.

There were two on Monday, now there are more.

It appears to be Aiptasia, but the hairy extensions are not very long. Since I am a newbie, I am asking for confirmation/advise.

pictures

Here are three pictures.

Attachments

• id1c.jpg
    id1c.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 72
  • id1b.jpg
    id1b.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 75
  • id1a.jpg
    id1a.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 84
I believe it's a type of palythoa. I had some that looked like that on a piece of rock and though it was a zoa at first. As time marched on they opened more and colored up more and now look like some other palys I have on my rock. (BTW, these came with my rock, I didn't add them.)

Here's what they looked like when I first noticed them:
41906-albums2492-picture17931.jpg

Now they look more like these (these are in a different part of the tank and are actually considerabley more green now with brown on the edge an in the center):
41906-albums2492-picture17926.jpg

I think of it as a free coral. Lots of folks buy colonies of it. As far as I know, the toxin is only a problem
If you have an open wound for it to enter. Zoanthids carry the same kind of toxin I believe, and lots of people buy those. If you're really concerned, wear a pair of latex gloves when you're working in the tank. In my opinion, the risk is largely overblown.

I handled mine several times before I knew about the toxin. The only issue I ever had was some irritation on my fingertips.

Paly toxin is serious and can be deadly. Always wash your hands after handling them. If you do that you should be fine, my wife frags Zoas a lot and as she always wears gloves and safety glasses (they have been know to squirt), and has never had an issue. Just be aware when handling.

Thank you very much for all the responses. This forum is packed with great people! I will keep these polyps for now and see how they develop. I will take precautions when putting my hand in the tank from now on. I guess I won't know when some new hitch hiker my pop up. I bought those long gloves for aquariums. I also have a pair of safety glasses (thanks to my husband who has tons of them).

Back
Top Bottom