Please help me ID my corals!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If anyone can give me ID's on my corals it would be much appreciated. (click the pics for larger images) I need to try and research to make sure i'm providing the right light and feeding environment for them.

#1 - I got this recently for $15 at my LFS, i think it was in the wrong section...it's a very nice piece :) Please note the second picture......several times since i got it it has opened up all it's mouths and spat brown stuff out.....it's quite bizzare really, because they all open at the same time and spit..... And also it's started to go slightly brown since that pic has taken which leads me to think it's not happy...

#3 - This thing has grown from a tiny little circle to a large sized....disk....and lately it's been developing some really nice looking green tips

#4 - This recently went from being 1, to 3....it seems to have had some babies

#5 - My clowns have made this their home......they are CRAZY over it...nothing gets near this thing.....at night when it retracts they sit at its base and don't move

If anyone can give me ID's on my corals it would be much appreciated. (click the pics for larger images) I need to try and research to make sure i'm providing the right light and feeding environment for them.

#1 - I got this recently for $15 at my LFS, i think it was in the wrong section...it's a very nice piece :) Please note the second picture......several times since i got it it has opened up all it's mouths and spat brown stuff out.....it's quite bizzare really, because they all open at the same time and spit..... And also it's started to go slightly brown since that pic has taken which leads me to think it's not happy...

#3 - This thing has grown from a tiny little circle to a large sized....disk....and lately it's been developing some really nice looking green tips

#4 - This recently went from being 1, to 3....it seems to have had some babies

#5 - My clowns have made this their home......they are CRAZY over it...nothing gets near this thing.....at night when it retracts they sit at its base and don't move

1 Lobo brain looks bleached
2 favia brain
3 frilly or hairy mushroom
4 orange mushrooms
5 Alveopora difficult and advanced coral
6 Not completely sure so I wont ID it ..
Also never buy a coral with out knowing what it is and needs ... as your system may not support them ;)
PS Not to be mean but find a diffrent host for your photos such as photo bucket this is the 3rd time I typed this in as they have pop ups that whipe out what is written . I will not do that again (it is too time consuming to have to retype something 2-3 times because of ads ! )

Agree with Sadielynn, except for #2 - appears to be a platygyra. #6 is a favia though!

You mention #1 starting to turn brown - it's not unhappy, but actually getting happier if it's turning brown. As Sadielynn mentioned, it looks bleached which is not a good thing. That's probably why you got it for cheap. As more color returns, that most likely means its getting healthier. The brown stuff coming out is just it's way of processing waste.

Thanks for the replies :)

I wasn't aware of any popup images with imageshack?? Will take note and note use them again for hosting pics.

As for the lobo brain being bleached.....after searching and reading i think you are spot on that it's bleached. I think it's doing much better now than when i got it though.

Here's a pic i took today. This is about 3 weeks after purchase.

1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom