Possible Hitchhiker ID's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So some hitchhikers have recently decided to show themselves on my Mushroom rock and I was wondering if any ID's can be provided.

First thing looks a bit like a Zoa on a stem... Don't really know how to describe it:

Second might be some kind of worm, don't recall ever seeing it there but it's not moving much, I think it's emerged out of a tube type thing:

Third might be a Feather Duster, I'm not sure... It came out of a tiny white tube and retracts when I go near it, it's absolutely tiny:

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The second guy is a large vermetid snail. Plain and simple. Kill it. Get some super glue gel and glue that snail shell shut. They throw a web out to feed that irritates coral and prolonged irritation can damage and kill.

The second guy is a large vermetid snail. Plain and simple. Kill it. Get some super glue gel and glue that snail shell shut. They throw a web out to feed that irritates coral and prolonged irritation can damage and kill.

I was wondering what all that silky stuff was...

Anyways.. I didn't have superglue on hand so I went and just tweezed it off, my Clownfish accidentally ate it right up.. Oops.

I then just went and dipped the corals in Revive just for the sake of it and some small spikey worm things came off along with a rather large shrimp looking thing.

Both the Feather Duster(?) and Zoa on a stem(?) survived which leads me to thinking that they actually are corals.

I've also just spotted these Red Spikey growths on the undersides of my rock...

I THINK they're Foraminiferans.. But I'm not 100%.

First pic reminds me of a ball anemone. I have a few but they are different colors - red and orange. They live among my mushroom corals and have remained harmless for a few years. Might try to google pseudocorynactis or ball anemone or corynactis and see what you think. In my case, they have been peaceful and remained small and have not spread. Not sure if my experience is typical. Opinions differ on these guys - some people hate them.

First pic reminds me of a ball anemone. I have a few but they are different colors - red and orange. They live among my mushroom corals and have remained harmless for a few years. Might try to google pseudocorynactis or ball anemone or corynactis and see what you think. In my case, they have been peaceful and remained small and have not spread. Not sure if my experience is typical. Opinions differ on these guys - some people hate them.

Hmm.. Maybe.

Seems a bit delicate compared to those I've just googled..

I've also just spotted these Red Spikey growths on the undersides of my rock...

I THINK they're Foraminiferans.. But I'm not 100%.

I agree.

People that hate corynactis are the ones who know nothing about them ;)
The ones we get in our tanks are nothing to be feared.
It's the larger pseudocorynactis that are seen in the wild that are not good for our systems.

Back
Top Bottom