Red Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serge

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone. I have this thing that has started to grow all over in my QT. Last week I removed some of it when I did a partial water change, but it is coming back. I think it may be some kind of algae but I have no clues. :roll: Hopefully, the attached picture will show enough details for the experts here to give a proper diagnostic. :D
Thanks in advance!

The color may be off but it looks like brown algae probably diatoms and will likely clear up on its own if you leave the QT up for a while. If it is red and breaks up readily it is most likely cyano. I understand that chem-clean is the best way to rid the tank of it. Remember, unless you find the cause it will likely return.

Thanks for the input, RMPD109. Your comment put me on a lead for doing search in the message base, and did find a lot of info, even pictures that showed exactly the same thing I am seeing here. Diatoms is what I seem to have. Now, have to convince the wife to "let it be" and wait it out. :lol:

Thanks again,

You can help the looks by scraping but it will come back quickly until it burns itself out. If your QT is cycled some snails and hermits may help as well.

I am planned for a 25% water change today, so I will be scrubbing/scrapping some of it off before. Hopefully, the python will help in this task too. As for snails, I have 3 astrea snails in this tank along with a 6 lbs LR. My new water is ready. Got 4 gallons from the RO/DI unit yesterday and the heater & power head have been busy all night in the bucket. :)

I was wondering about the blue leg hermits. Will they be able to live and feed themselves in a QT with bare bottom?

Thanks.

8)

I got mexican turbos (snails) when I had a diatom problem. They cleared it up in a day it was amazing.

Well, I added 4 blue leg hermit crabs today. Wow, those guys are really small. :) They got busy as soon as they hit the bottom of the tank. I think they were having a smorgsgabor (sp?) or something. It was absolutely fascinating to observe. :lol: Next time I hit the LFS, I'll check for the turbo snails. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom