Brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james3434

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

My shrimp tank is relatively new and I can see some brown algae growing (see attached). Do I need t dose any algae remover or will it disappear after a while without me doing anything?
Thanks

Attachments

• al1.JPG
    al1.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 11
  • al2.JPG
    al2.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
Im not actually aware of any algae removing products that remove brown algae/ diatoms.

Diatoms are common in newly established tanks and they feed on nutrients in the water. Generally in new tanks this is silicates from the surface of the glass and substrate. When these silicates get used up diatoms usually clear up on their own after a couple of months. I notice your tank is acrylic though.

If they dont clear up it could be a sign of silicates in your water or high nitrate which is something else diatoms feed off.

I can see some diatoms on the side of the tank, which should be easy enough to manually wipe off then syphon out with a water change. I dont know if its a photography effect due to a blue background, but the tank looks very blue so its difficult to see if its also effecting your aquascape.

Diatoms also thrive in low light, particularly low light with a lot of blue in it. So turning up light and increasing white light can help. This promotes green algae which outcompetes diatoms for nutrients.

Personally i would just manually clean things up for now and see what happens over the next couple of months.

Im not actually aware of any algae removing products that remove brown algae/ diatoms.

Diatoms are common in newly established tanks and they feed on nutrients in the water. Generally in new tanks this is silicates from the surface of the glass and substrate. When these silicates get used up diatoms usually clear up on their own after a couple of months. I notice your tank is acrylic though.

If they dont clear up it could be a sign of silicates in your water or high nitrate which is something else diatoms feed off.

I can see some diatoms on the side of the tank, which should be easy enough to manually wipe off then syphon out with a water change. I dont know if its a photography effect due to a blue background, but the tank looks very blue so its difficult to see if its also effecting your aquascape.

Diatoms also thrive in low light, particularly low light with a lot of blue in it. So turning up light and increasing white light can help. This promotes green algae which outcompetes diatoms for nutrients.

Personally i would just manually clean things up for now and see what happens over the next couple of months.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer. This is a glass tank and I'm using blue , red, white led. But I can also switch to white one.

I have a product called AZOO plus which states it can remove - hairy, beard, brown, blue green and black brush algae.

I will definitely switch to white led and also do a manual cleanup for now.

:thanks:

sorry forgot to ask something @Aiken Drum.

I'm only using led for like 6-8 hrs daily. Should I increase this to like 12+ hrs to promote green algae?

sorry forgot to ask something @Aiken Drum.

I'm only using led for like 6-8 hrs daily. Should I increase this to like 12+ hrs to promote green algae?
Id just switch on the white and leave the lighting period alone. Going forward trial and error with the lighting period. If you think the plants arent getting enough light, lengthen the lighting period, see how things are after a couple of months. If you are getting too much algae, shorten the lighting period. Get to a point where your plants are healthy and you arent getting too much algae.

Back
Top Bottom