Shrimp id needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkadar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found two of these hiding in holes in a piece of live rock. Are these good shrimps to have or not? They seem pretty timid, go back in the rock anytime anything comes near them.

Attachments

• hitchhiker.jpg
    hitchhiker.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 189
  • hitchhiker2.jpg
    hitchhiker2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 183
Look like snapping shrimp of some kind. How big are they?
Pretty cool to have in your tank, will help to stir up the sand a bit. The only thing they can be a threat to is smaller shrimp. Some will form symbiotic relationships with gobies, coral and anemones.
Like all invertes they are intolerant of high nitrate levels and copper.

They are about 1.5" in length. Looks a little like my pistol shrimp, but not nearly as brightly colored. my pistol shrimp digs a lot in the sand, these guys hide in holes in the rock and seem to only come out to eat.

I'm pretty sure they are mantis shrimp. They eat pretty much anything they can catch. Take them out and sell them to your lfs or put it in a sump or refugium.

I'm pretty sure they are mantis shrimp. They eat pretty much anything they can catch. Take them out and sell them to your lfs or put it in a sump or refugium.
they dont lokk much like aa mantis shrimp

Thanks mr x. Found these two after I moved a 10lb piece of LR from a holding tank that has about 100lbs of rocki got off craigslist Good bet there are more in the holding tank, just have not found them yet. Holding tank has no sand so their only hiding places was in the rock.
Do u think It's safe to leave them in a reef tank? Zoos, polyPs, green stars, finger coral..... So far, all I have seen them eat is pellets.

well, anything with claws has the potential to do damage. those claws aren't just for breaking up pellets! as far as being reef safe- only time will tell. If i found them in my rock, i'd probably put them in the sump. then again, with your coral lineup, you might welcome a little "pruning" from time to time. if they are easy to catch, i guess it wouldn't hurt to keep them and wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom