Small Star on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright these things are like 1 mm in diameter, really tiny! I can't beleive I got a photo :)

img_1384686_0_cc1f9865c4a746ea3c2280230efb475a.jpg

Zoomed in
img_1384686_1_56114b82403fd0dcaaf8637bbbbf1da1.jpg

From a first glance, it looks like the free swimming stage of a HYDROID. And possibly the beginning of a hydroid invasion. They are close in relation to jellyfish, They will reproduce and reproduce while stinging and taking food from the tank inhabits. These little monsters are exactly what I was scared of getting in my dwarf seahorse tank.

Last edited:
Sorry I know nothing about sw but those little things look bad [moderator edit]. Sorry if they can harm your fish though.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a first glance, it looks like the free swimming stage of a HYDROID. And possibly the beginning of a hydroid invasion. They are close in relation to jellyfish, They will reproduce and reproduce while stinging and taking food from the tank inhabits. These little monsters are exactly what I was scared of getting in my dwarf seahorse tank.

haha well I hope not! I'm expecting them to disappear like most small critters I find every once in awhile. Have you found anything that looks like them?
Hydroid.jpg

These little guys kind of look like them but not really, mine all have only 8 arms, hey maybe they are an octopus baby!:eek:

Do hydroids always sting?? Cause this one doesn't, i touched it twice, also do they swim? Cause this one does haha I knocked the one off by accident and it swims like a jelly fish or small squid. has a round little clear body with those eight white legs and he pulses himself around, pretty cute!

It's in the medusoid stage if it is a hydroid. Probably hasn't yet develop nematocysts if it is. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about hydroids. I mean, I've had them show up a few times and they always died off before they made much progress. Just keep an eye on em.

Do hydroids always sting?? Cause this one doesn't, i touched it twice, also do they swim? Cause this one does haha I knocked the one off by accident and it swims like a jelly fish or small squid. has a round little clear body with those eight white legs and he pulses himself around, pretty cute!

Because they are stinging, doesn't always mean that you will be able to feel like. Could sting bad enough to hurt the fish and not you. That said I know nothing about those guys, but great pitures. Looks pretty cool!

I took about 20 out of the tank, that's all I could find at the moment. They are super easy to catch, they swim right to the surface. My brother is going to try to keep them alive by feeding them live baby brine haha we will see how that goes.

Because they are stinging, doesn't always mean that you will be able to feel like. Could sting bad enough to hurt the fish and not you. That said I know nothing about those guys, but great pitures. Looks pretty cool!

i was cleaning my tank last week and my galaxea coral stung me with its tentacles it felt like a tiny pinch

You'll soon have thousands. Also if you take them out, they will always come back. It's really insane. (freaks me out) :(

Not true Dylan. With good filtration and water changes they die off. Good husbandry keeps them in check. I've had them in each and every tank I've ever had and they've never gotten out of control. I actually have a few right now and I couldn't care less :p

Back
Top Bottom