Snail eating snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
here is a pic of this 2 inch snail I found last week. I took a pic last night of it engulfing a nassarius snail. I have noticed a bunch of empty shell on my LS, but didn't think this was the cause. I do have two mantis in the reef, but these empty shells are completely intact. The victim was half way in the mouth of this snail and was sliming up pretty bad. I can keep buying snails, but what else will this beast eat?

Attachments

• june_snail.jpg
    june_snail.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 109
looks to me like a Welk. I had 2 come in on some LR and I nabbed them up right away after finding out there bad habits.

Be carefull steve-s mentioned they can reproduce worse than rabbitts!!!

I had a thread in this forum (ID) about weird snails. I'll see if I can find it!

They don't take over the shells but they are voracious snail eaters. I'd get rid of it.

I can't just flush this guy. What all do they eat? I can get 200 snails for $20 on E-bay. Are they beneficial at all, other than keeping snail populations in check? From the sounds of it, a LFS or other reefer wouldn't want it. The only reason I am even contemplating the idea of getting rid of it, is my tank is now littered with empty snail shells.

My main concern is, what will it devour if the snail population is depleted?

Flush him!!!!!!! It won't hurt!

You can take him back to your LFS and see if they want him which I doubt! They are not beneficial from what I have read, and why spend $20 over and over only to have all those snails killed!

I have read that they only eat other snails, but there are a few instances where people have seen them eating there clams as well!!!! 8O

Good luck, and remember they reproduce very well in the home aquarium once you see one you probably have more!

Definately a predaceous snail but it's not a whelk, it's a horse "conch", Pleuroploca gigantea by the looks of it. Their primary diet is other shellfish, primarily oysters/bivalves but they won't pass up on a snail dinner either.

Rock came from down south?

Cheers
Steve

I'd never advocate killing an animal but in this case....

If you have a sump or something to put it in and want to buy sacrificial snails then I say go for it. Personally, I'd rather kill one then a dozen. You could try adding pieces of shrimp for it and hope it prefers that but I really doubt it will bother so long as there are snails around. Good luck.

Rock came from down south?
LR.com Gulf Rock, correct once again. I put the LR in there months ago and just spotted him two weeks ago.
You could try adding pieces of shrimp
I feed the tank prawns and muscle on regular basis, but escargot is obviously preferred. I have two mantis in the reef as well, but I guess they haven't found him yet or this guy is just too big. has a pretty beefy shell.

Would it be safe to, maybe I can give him the deep freeze and feed him to the tank and use the shell for a hermit? Give the rest of the tank a little revenge. :twisted:

Thanks all!

A 100 gal tank won't notice the excess nutrient from one snail :wink:

Cheers
Steve

A 100 gal tank won't notice the excess nutrient from one snail
I guess my question is, is there anyything bad (organ juices ot toxins) that would be bad for the tank or inhabitants. I just plan on chopping/blending him up (dead of course), just can't throw in in the trash.

Please freeze him first, it would be more humane
Put him in the freezer last night. And yes I felt bad the whole time, over it now though. Especially after I pulled out 103 empty nassarius shells this morning. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom