Snail Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cedrowns

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys!

First, I must thank all of you for your help when it comes to this stuff!

I have a 90 gallon salt water with shrimp, 2 Clowns, 1 Sail Fin, a Blue Tang, and a hermit crab or two.

I am a relative newcomer when it comes to salt water and I have a Professional come over every 2 weeks to service the tank and take care of the finer points.

He introduced a new creature into our CUC and I am just wondering what species it is?

I will post a picture as soon as I have the Photobucket app installed, but right now it is a looks like it is a snail with green offset eyes.

Any ideas?????

Hi, and welcome!

Without a picture I'd guess a nassarius or conch snail. If it's a nassarius it'll bury itself under the sand. If it's a conch it'll stay out and about. Those are the only snails I can think of off the top of my head that have readily visible eyes (I'm sure there's others).

Try describing the shell if you can't get a picture. That would help a lot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Here is a pic.

It took me a little time to figure out how this computer stuff works, but I appreciate all the advice with my new hobby!

Attachments

• image-975432665.jpg
    image-975432665.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 61
Thats a conch. :) Neat critters but if you dont have food for them they can easily starve. :-( Even with supplemental feedings I lost mine after about a month of getting him.

Good luck with him! They really are neat and they dont bother any fish or corals so they are for sure reef safe.

Hey Guys!

I certainly appreciate the help and response to my question!

I typically feed the entire tank frozen brine shrimp (after it has been thawed and strained, obviously) once a day.

Also, I have a anemone that I specifically feed krill every other day or so and he seems quite satisfied with that process.

I do have two other conchs that run around the tank quite extensively and seem to do their best with feeding and keeping the glass clean.

If i may trouble you again, is there any supplemental feeding that you guys could recommend to keep the new conch happy?

Or any other recommendations for that matter?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom