Something new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought some more live rock today - got lucky, found a piece covered in zoas, big zoas.

Something else is on there too, it's hard to explain or take a picture.

They stem into the rock and branch out into 3 areas it seems, funky looking, they dart back into the rock when I go near them?

those are pest anemones. i would be kalk pasting them at about 10 every couple days until they are gone.

i think i misread- i was under the impression you were saying that those brown things would dart back into the rock when you go near them. if so, they are not zoanthids.

Oh no, not those.

They just open up in the morning and stay there all day, haha.

It's another thing that closes up when I go near the tank, it's the main focus of the video although, the video is pretty crap quality, if you go to around 0:20 and look at the top right of the rock, you'll see one of them dart into the rock.

There's alot of them too, at least 7/8.

Also, on the edge of the rock, theres 2 clam like things? They were really hard to notice but they are there.

Might be some other stuff too, just hard to find.

you'll find a lot of rock boring mollusks on and in live rock. they are harmless and live their entire lives in one place, filter feeding. the same goes for the mini feather dusters.

palythoa would be what i would call them. although, they have an odd growth pattern for palys. they aren't really grouped together, which is what i'm used to seeing.

And now, I've just learnt about palytoxin, haha. Might have saved my life!

Whatever it is, it's pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom