Stuff on my rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aborgardt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope this is in the right place. If it isnt I would ask an admin to help me out...

So, bare with my ignorance, but i am new to having my own salt tank. I am ending week four of my cycle this week. Had a HUGE spike in Ammonia (8+) and has currently dropped to a little over a 4. Nitrites are up to 5 and nitrates are still low. I am preparing to hopefully order my CUC the end of next week, pending the ammonia and nitrites are at 0

I purchased my live rock from live rock ranch, dipped it a few times in a bucket of saltwater from my tank and added the rock to the tank. I didnt really 'clean' the rock, figuring anything on it that was dead would do nothing but help the cycle. Now being near the end of the cycle i was wondering if there was anything i should do to the rock? I am going to post a few pics of the rocks and maybe I can get some help identifying these growths and some advice on whether to leave them or remove them.

Thanks

IMG_0372[1].jpg

IMG_0373[1].jpg

IMG_0374[1].jpg

IMG_0375[1].jpg

Looks like they are sideways for some reason. sorry. Here are some more...

IMG_0376[1].jpg

IMG_0377[1].jpg

IMG_0378[1].jpg

IMG_0379[1].jpg

I forgot to mention, it seems to be brittle.

and macro is good, right? so I should leave it and let the CUC pick at the dead stuff?

It is a macro algae. If you really want to know the exact type get a hold of John Maloney at reefcleaners. Give him a while to get back to you he was in a car accident and is still probably in the hospital. He will need a clear picture of it so he can see all the fine details of it.

Most macro algae is good and causes no problems, I pull mine out on a regular bases and throw it in the sump.

Is there a way to tell if it is dead or alive? I don't know if it should be so brittle if it's alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I have one red algae that was very brittle it was growing great but was messing with my rocks and knocked it off so I am hoping it will start out of no where again. I have 3 other macro algaes that popped out of no where.

Back
Top Bottom