Two Headed Worm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattoid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've found three of these so far, after the lights go out, but can be seen by house lights easily. Appear to come out of tiny holes in rock and one was at least 4" of skinny stretchy worm before the double headed flat worm looking portion around an inch or so tip to tip on the T-section head. Recoils when lit with the torch, very agile. Couldn't find any other pics or reference so any ID or info greatly appreciated. Thanks. IMG_1477829064.842861.jpgIMG_1477829083.206790.jpg

It isn't a 2 headed worm, those are the tentacles that are being sent out to gather and search for food. They are called spaghetti worms if I remember correctly and are related to peanut worms. Harmless scavengers.

Great! thanks. i was hoping they were harmless. i tried to remove one several days ago as it looked a bit like an algae. I didn't get all of it. Can they divide and regrow?

I saw one after I posted that went from hole to another larger hole that was at least a foot long stretched out. Amazing! Beautiful fish and corals are fun, but what I've been seeing in hitchhikers already tops it so far. Warily excited after finding my first bristleworm...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on what is going on in the water column. As a tank matures it goes through its own life stages. Populations of things will grow and die off. This will go on for months.

Back
Top Bottom