Is this Hole in the Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidsteve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so will give as much information as possable ,if i am missing any info please let me know.
This is my Red Emperor. It was introduced into my main tank and removed after around 2 months once i started to see a problem with him and put into my quarantine tank . My main tank is stocked with 10 Yellow fins (3 males,7 females, i think) 8 Yellow Labs (2 male,6 female)10 Red tops (3 males, 7 females) 12 Jalo Reefs (5 male, 6 females)My main tank has been cycled for over 18 months. He was settling in well and not being bullied or bullying at all. My* main tank is a 400l tank with 1 fluval FX6 filled with Biohome ultimate in the filter with the standard foams course,medium and poly foam and no chemicals and no carbon and has beeing running for over 18 months. The other external filter i have on this tank is a Fluval 207 used for water polishing with 1.5kg of Biohome Ultimate, C3 resin and no carbon with one packet of Purogen, this is going through a Vetron V2 400 UV steriliser. I have two air stones on this tank. I have no live plants and a Dolimite substrate with mini landscape stone. My parametes are* Zero Nitrite,Zero Nitrite, Zero Ammonia. My GH is 10 and KH is 10 my PH is 8.4. I complete 50% water changes religiosity every Wednesday and Sunday (Drives my husband mad)I add Salifert KH + PH buffer and Ciclid Lake salt after each water change to the recommended amounts. The lighting is a fluval that is on for around 6 hours a day in the evening. I am feeding Repashy Solent green as a main feed 4 times a week and on other days will use North Fin cichlid formula 2mm,Tetra Pro Multi crisps and frozen bloodworm. I am adding Seachem Vitality every day and Zoo plankton twice a week and Ciclid Trace twice a week. I have moved* my red emperor into my quarantine tank and this is a 150l tank with exactly the safe filtering as main but with only one filter,no chemicals, no UV and only Biohome with no sponges and this water is also* the same as my main tank and the feed is the same and maintance is more frequent and i complete 30% water changes every third day.
The treatment i have used in my quarantine tank are as follows. He had white stringey poo so i assumed it was hole in the head as he also had a few white/dark dents in his head. I treated this for 7 days with eSHa Hexamita. This cleared up the poo problem so i assumed the i nternal problem but no improvement with the dents and patches. I then completed a large water change and left tretment for 3 days and the completed another 7 day dose of eSHa Hexamita. No change in the dents. Completed another large change after Treatment. The dents do look better but not gone but now he has what looks like a fungus growth on his side fins near his gills (see pic)
I then treated with Paraguard for 7 days, water change,then another 7 days and the growth and dents will not go. I incresed the temp to 27c and added 15g of Epsom salts. Dont want to keep on treating as dont want to keep adding potential the wrong Medication. Any help for this new fish keeper would be great,thank you all for you help in advance Steve

Attachments

• Red Emperor Image.jpg
    Red Emperor Image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 38
I am not sure about hole in head, I've never come across in personally...
But I have had a fungus issue with a new fish I got that ended up passing because of it..
And there appears to be some sort of fungus on the fin of the fish on the side where it meets the body.. I would start there and try to identify the fungus and treat for that and see if it resolves the other issues...
I am by no means an expert. And have NO CLUE about hole in head.
But have had fungus.. and that's what the fin stuff looks like to me...
But that's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt..��
Hope your little guy recovers!!

Edit: also my LFS recommended 'Kordon's Rid-Ich Plus'
They said it is what they use..
Although, I found out it is NOT invert safe... so had to move my snails and shrimp during treatment. Put the carbon filter back after treatment and waited almost 2 weeks and then put most of them back, and they seem quite happy..
And NONE of the remaining fish show any signs of fungus! *knock on wood*

Wish you all the luck!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom