Unknown Larve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I have noticed these things starting to spread in my fuge. They are very tiny so I appologize about the pic, however I think that if you have seen one before you'll recognize it. They are clear with a noticable dot in the center (presumably organs) The larve is shaped like a teardrop and lifts its front portion (presumably the mouth) off the glass where it then expands and comes back down to the glass. If the pic doesn't do and more description is needed let me know.

Amphiscolops sp. aka "White Flatworm".

This worm appears to eat small crustaceans like Copepods and has been rumored to eat other smaller flatworms. Unfortunately from my experiments it does not eat the dreaded "Red Planaria" aka Convolutriloba sp.

As illistrated by my photos below, this 1cm animal captures its prey by lifting its bulbous head, expanding it like a net, then clamping down against the surface and closing the "net". Copepods or other prey are then forced into the stomach and the process starts over.

white_flatworm1-2.jpg

white_flatworm2-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom