Evil Planarian that eats blackworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously I've bought blackworms from the lfs and a guy who only does organic and these little critters are always in them. I don't have any problems and have been using them for a few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

So i can still feed it to my fish? And I don't have to send it to the ????
Just the way it stuck to the glass with one end didn't sound like any leech I have heard of.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely kill the bugger, without knowing the species you won't know it's intent. Some are harmless and get eaten easily others not so harmless, there are several instances where newts, clawed frogs, fish and crustaceans where attacked by these hitchhikers.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never seen a white colored leech. Do they come that way? Maybe I skimmed and missed something and I'm talking about something else

I've never seen a white colored leech. Do they come that way? Maybe I skimmed and missed something and I'm talking about something else

White? Was it dead? I've gotten blackworms with white ones in it but they were dead leeches.

The organism in question is in the video that the OP posted back in July. It is definitely not a leech when you see it. My closest guess is a liver fluke. It is definitely some type of fluke, I may be wrong on the liver part though because many look similar.

Oh I'm guessing a common liver fluke not the oriental liver fluke although both have similar life cycles and are part of the same genus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The organism in question is in the video that the OP posted back in July. It is definitely not a leech when you see it. My closest guess is a liver fluke. It is definitely some type of fluke, I may be wrong on the liver part though because many look similar.

Oh I'm guessing a common liver fluke not the oriental liver fluke although both have similar life cycles and are part of the same genus.

The thing I killed looked identical to what the OP has in the video. I have my own video, but haven't uploaded it yet.

It moves too much like a leech for me to buy into the fluke business. Besides blackworms are cultured in a fish free environment for obvious reasons and if there's no host, then there's no mature flukes.

I've never seen a leech that looks like that. I have seen flukes that do and an adult fluke can live outside of a host.

IMO I would not feed the fluke/leech to any fish or living creature unless you know 100% what it is. It should be destroyed as soon as possible.

Does the video link I posted look like it? I need to take a pic of the ones I always find. Don't have any currently. Anyway in the link they can't decide if it's a leech or fluke. I'm just going to call it a flatworm. Lol

I found one of these when I bought a plant from a pet store (Pets Warehouse in Oz, which I guess is like a Petco or Petbarn in the US).
I thought it was a leech that had been starved, cos it was pale like the one in your video.
Anyway, I just dumped some salt in the water and that killed it, and any more of its kind that may have been lurking in the hair grass I bought. Bleugh!

For the low price of $130 I can have it analyzed at the vet school along with my fish.

Talked with my professor just now. He said if it is a flat worm of sorts IDing it will be extremely difficult because of how many species there are.
He said it almost looks like a leech, and to see if it is a leech I'm going to catch one and cut it in half. If it both halves live its a flat worm. If it dies its a leech.
Also going to brong in a few next class to have examined under a microscope for a more positive ID

Leeches. Talked with the lfs owner where I buy the worms from and thats what he said they where. Now I just have to figure out if they are ok for my fish

What did he say about it and did he say why there are leeches in his product?

He said that almost every batch he gets has them, some more than others. It seems like its the supplier that is spreading them. He also said they rinse each batch for a while to try and get the leeches out, but some get through.

That would make sense for it to be the regional wholesaler or even the people before them spreadong the leeches. As long as my fish are safe the leeches are fair game.

Back
Top Bottom