what is this?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elchakas

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i saw this in my sump with my macro algea... anyone know what this is?.. is it bad?.. how do i get rid of it?..

ForumRunner_20120707_210540.jpg

That is Cyanobacteria, red slime algae. It is caused by nutrient-rich water. You need to figure out where they are coming from... too much feeding, not enough water changes, insufficient skimming, source water, overstocking, etc.

Elchakas said:
R they bad?.. what does it do?..

Well, kinda bad. It's a sign of poor water quality, and can overtake a tank, if left unchecked. It comes from excessive amounts of dissolved organics in the water. It can blanket corals and kill them. Normally it comes from overfeeding, overstocking, or not enough water changes. Or a combination of these.
How long has the tank been set up?
Reef or FOWLR?
Do you run a skimmer?

Oohhh i see.. its been running for over a year... its a fowlf with only 4 little coral frags... i do have a skimmer... i think i might b over feeding and not enogh water change... should i do water change more often and cut down on feeding?..

Oh i hope not... i just finished a battle w hair algea this is like streesing me out... so any advice on how to remove this?...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks... very helpful and usefull info..

Back
Top Bottom