what is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
On the top of my LR i have a few pieces of Tonga Branch, i am not sure if thats how you spell it( if you look at my pics, you will see it on the left). Anyways, it was becoming VERY brown, but i did 2 water tests in 3 days and all levels are perfect. I also did buy 2 astrea snail, and i notice one of them just started to eat it all up, cleared the who Branch in hours, but it is coming back. Is this harmful ??? Or should i sit back and just let the snails have a feast??

Leo

If I remember right, you've got a new tank - just cycled... right?

Then most likely the rusty brown colored stuff you're seeing are diatoms. They seem to be a "right of passage" for new tanks. Your snails will take care of it for you... I'm sure they're pretty happy campers at the moment! Other than being really ugly, diatoms are not a problem. Without snails, I've heard the diatoms will overpopulate themselves out of existence, but my snails took care of mine so well I never got to test that out! You can see a before/after shot of my mess here...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87863&highlight=

Hey, Leo I moved this to the ID forum.
I agree with Kurt. Your tank looks really nice and clean! It probably is a diatom bloom.
How old is your tank?

FloridaNewbie said:
roka64 said:
How old is your tank?

It is only about 3-4 wks old. and i have 2 clowns in it, very active and happy guys!
I'd say it is a diatom bloom, it should go away overnight.

nicksgirl said:
How can I see the pics you guys are referring to?
Check under the shark pic, on the left:
View My Gallery
That should take you there.

Back
Top Bottom