What is this brown stuff on my sand, glass and rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so my tank is still in its cycle. its been running for two weeks now.
the only lighting i have is actinics 8hours or more a day. no real reason just so i can see the tank.

right now i have brown stuff growing on my live rock, sand and glass. What could this be. is this bad?
ro-di water

salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
see pics below help please.
some sports are darker then others.. brown spots all over my sand ! |:(

img_1217826_1_f984fbff69552eb8b476eb90ba25aac6.jpg

img_1217826_2_043d0ac03079d0aa9215ffbd5c939396.jpg

It's called diatoms.., it's a normal thing during your cycle time,..it'll probably get worse before it gets better,...but it'll go away by itself just as fast as it comes.
Type in diatoms in the " search " field at the top of the forum and you should get a lot of help and info,...patience ,patience

Thx for the quick reply!! We learn as we go!
I do have a chromis in the tank to help cycle and hes doing really well. Kind of lonely but he'll get some new friends in a few weeks

jason1985 said:
Thx for the quick reply!! We learn as we go!
I do have a chromis in the tank to help cycle and hes doing really well. Kind of lonely but he'll get some new friends in a few weeks

Probably not the most humane thing to do,.....kinda like being in a garage with a car running,...you might live thru it but you might not be too happy about it,....there's a lot of good topics about tank cycling on this forum,..here again ,...try the " search" engine

You're cycling with fish. Having been around here for a while, thought you might have seen extensive discsussion already about the more humane way to do it with rock or grocery store shrimp.

One good thing I guess is that maybe your rock was cured and already established. Therefore no toxic ammonia that the fish have to endure. That's the inhumane part I was speaking of. Your tank is not cycling. Maybe it won't need to if you've got zero ammonia and no nitrites. Didja ever see any at all?

The rock was already cycled in my other thank that was up and running and still is running.. In two weeks i havent seen any ammonia spikes at all... If i was cycling with un cured rock id never put a fish in! The chromis only wen in on wed night.... And my tests are good so i dont see a problem! I was just curious as to why i have diatoms

Diatoms are fadding, sand is almost back to its natural colour

Turbo Snails are looking happy.

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Good
Temp 78
ph 8

Clowns and Yellow Tang looking healthy, swimming around and eating well.

Back
Top Bottom