what is this on my power head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi.. i have one pictures showing something growing on my power head and i know you can see hair algae but im getting that under control, with good results, this is still a new tank bear in mind. the other is a hicth hiker from a small frag i got a few weeks ago, just want to make sure its ok to keep without it causing any problems, any help would be great as i dont know where to start serching.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 194
For some reason the one on the left looks like a feather duster to me...But I can't quite possibly get the idea through my head since it is rather unusual for them to to on powerheads IME. My eyes are probably playing tricks on me and Joy is right.

I don't know about the power head but the other one looks like a small hammer coral maybe? I'm not that great at IDing things.

i agree with smitty the 2nd one deff looks like a hammer coral

A little off-topic, but not really...

If you're battling hair algae, then get that powerhead out of there and scrub the darn stuff off! Just letting it live on that powerhead just blows the junk all over the place, only to set up residence somewhere else. Getting it off the powerhead is an easy thing to do that reduces its ability to reproduce.

That's great advice. So simple why didn't I think of that, cheers guys, going to do a water change tonight, should I remove the cotton candy too. It's just it looks kinda cool and hasn't seemed to of spread, will it spread?

I would get rid of it while you are at it. Just because it looks nice now, doesn't mean it will look nice when 30% of your tank is covered in it :)

BTW: Nice score on the free hammer coral :)

Yeah... I'd get rid of it too. When I first saw my first few pieces of Bubble Algae in my tank, I thought it kinda looked cool too. Grrrr. Took years to get over that phase (knock on wood.)

Back
Top Bottom