what is this stuff!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyKat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently transferd my fish into a new tank. In the first tank I had a problem with cyano (red slime) so i made sure to clean everythinf spotless before transfering to a new tank. now this stuff is poping up. Doesnt look the same as the cyano to me hut its reddish copper colored and has little strings coming off of it. For a tank with hardly any algae is this okay? Or no .

Indeed. Cyanobacteria comes in many flavors. Some of it is actually (as the name implies) blue green. Cyanobacteria accumulates for a variety of reasons. Usually related to the presence of phosphates, nitrates, or even iron. But it requires so little of these that even in a pristine tank that reads 0 phosphates and nitrates, it can thrive. In that case, it is usually an issue of flow. Cyanobacteria doesn't grasp anything firmly, so it only accumulates in areas of low flow. Adding another circulation pump can often halt or even remove the buildup.
As a side note, I need to get another pump for that exact reason.

Very true I had a cyano problem once upon a time and I added flow and I've never had that problem again

heres a photo

Attachments

• 556312_231436716988056_1419740089_n.jpg
    556312_231436716988056_1419740089_n.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 108
Lol yes its a fake plant, don't hate. I haven't started the whole reef deal yet I had to put some stuff in there I looked so boring without anything haha.

And I have this stuff that is supposed to kill this crap, no luck so far. I suppose ill have to add more flow! Thanks guys !

It doesn't only come because of lack of flow and lol your plant :p

Ugh Idk how to get rid of this crap! And i like my fake plant! Thank u lol, it has character

What are your water parameters? And how many power heads do you run in your tank?

All my perameters are fine other than water hardness is a little high. And i don't have and other power heads just what my filter produces. So I guess ill have to.buy a few power heads.

That's your answer then what size tank is it and is your plant growing :D

So i need to increase water flown, fix the water hardness. How do I fix the water hardness ? Can i do i water change with bottled water or something? And of course my fake plant is flourishing lmao.

Do a water change and test again in a day if problem persists try a buffer

Do a water change and test again in a day if problem persists try a buffer

I had to take my tank down first time I got it and literally wash every single batch of sand which was about 3 full 5 gallon buckets ... And lol the plant

Wash? Elaborate

Well by wash I mean rise the sand over and over ... It really pays off , now keep in mind I had started the tank had no water flow and regular sand I used idk how that would work with live sand ... Now what I did was redo the hole tank meaning taking everything pre and apart and water wash about 2 cups of the dirty sand and clean it by hand till water comes out clean .... And scrub the tank hard believe me u don't wanna go tru the.hole process again the tiniest particle u leave there will spread ... Now keep in mind mine was out of.control so I had to do that ... Sorry for the long reply but if u got that Lil bit on ur case I would sudgest u to wash that sand it's sittin on and add flow asap ... Don't pick the sand with a net to catch the cyano ull just spread it.more

Back
Top Bottom