What kind of coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had it for a long time so it's kinda dumb that im asking now but it hitchhiked on a zoa frag I got. It has been multiplying and I was waiting for it to grow bigger to see better what it was. I figured some type of mushroom but now I'm wondering if its some type of paly. The mushrooms Ive seen that look like this are much bigger. The biggest one is the original that has multiplied but its only the size of a dime.
They are middle right of the picture under the zoas.

Attachments

• image-1537347294.jpg
    image-1537347294.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 272
Can you take a picture when all the lights are on? With blues, it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between a polyp and a glass anemone at times.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back. Read my "catastrophe" thread in "SW Reef aquaria" and you'll understand why.
All lights were on in the last pic, but my camera pics up more blue for some reason. Here's one with blues off....

Oops forgot to attach pic.

Attachments

• image-542821660.jpg
    image-542821660.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 260
It looks like aptasia. It is in the anemone family and is a stinging pest. Get rid of it.

I know full well what aphasia / glass anemones look like and this isn't it. I got rid of those pests long ago...

Hold that thought... Maybe I'm wrong...

Here's a pic of one I found on google that looks similar. I was unaware there were different kinds.

Attachments

• image-378547682.jpg
    image-378547682.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 173
This is what the ones I had before looked like....

Attachments

• image-1969798853.jpg
    image-1969798853.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 181
Yeah, some Aptasia have pale white lines on them. there are several different kinds.

Yeah, some Aptasia have pale white lines on them. there are several different kinds.

Lol here I thought I got a free coral! I was all happy that they were multiplying n stuff.... Lol!
Guess its time to get another peppermint shrimp n see if he'll eat em up.

Most are plain brown, but some have stripes. They are all built about the same and I think most if not all sting corals. I can see why you were temporarily confused as there are many varieties.

Hmm....aptasia? I'm not convinced yet. Another name I would toss out to confuse you a bit more is "rock anemone". I would also think palythoa. What happens when you gently touch it?

Rock anemone is a pretty broad term. It is anemone (I think) and its on a rock, so I would agree, it's a rock anemone. :)

I could only tell by squinting at the picture but the mouth and neck sure looked like aptasia to me.

Link a pic as to what you think it is.

But it does look like what is called a rock anemone, second one is the palythoa, third is aiptasia.

Attachments

• image-453381795.jpg
    image-453381795.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image-1059415615.jpg
    image-1059415615.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3940596988.jpg
    image-3940596988.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Looks like a majano pest anemone. Very cool looking but spread pretty quick.

Hmm....aptasia? I'm not convinced yet. Another name I would toss out to confuse you a bit more is "rock anemone". I would also think palythoa. What happens when you gently touch it?

I haven't tried touching it. Ill do that tonight when I get home and let you know. Good idea.

Rock anemone is a pretty broad term. It is anemone (I think) and its on a rock, so I would agree, it's a rock anemone. :)

I could only tell by squinting at the picture but the mouth and neck sure looked like aptasia to me.

Link a pic as to what you think it is.

But it does look like what is called a rock anemone, second one is the palythoa, third is aiptasia.

I'd say it looks more like the 1st pic than the second, but how many varieties of palythoa are out there. If you compare my pics to the three you posted then its definitely not the third pic in line being the Aptasia.
Also, are these Palythoa's also referred to as Palys? If so that was my first thought when I first posted. It was either that or some type of mushroom, but I thought mushrooms usually grew much bigger.
Are rock anemones reef safe? When you look at my pic, you can see that these things are brushing against the zoas and they seem fine with it. That makes me think that this is a coral, not anemone. Definitely not aptasia.

Would need a better pic to do much but guess. If it isn't burning anything then there is no need to worry much about it unless it spreads.

Would need a better pic to do much but guess. If it isn't burning anything then there is no need to worry much about it unless it spreads.

Yea ill try to get a better pic. They're mid way in the tank and so small it's just difficult to get a great pic. Ill give it another try tomorrow morning though.
As for multiplying, I started with one about a year and a half ago and now I've got four, so I don't think they're gonna get out of control. I'm really just curious as to what they are that's all.

If you touch it and it ditches into the rock with a quickness, I would lean towards aptasia. If it doesn't disappear and just closes up a bit, I would say it's something else. I just never saw an aptasia anemone that was 2 colors (besides the mentioned white stripes).

If you touch it and it ditches into the rock with a quickness, I would lean towards aptasia. If it doesn't disappear and just closes up a bit, I would say it's something else. I just never saw an aptasia anemone that was 2 colors (besides the mentioned white stripes).

I touched it and it closed up slowly about like a button polyp or a zoa would and started opening back up. Shortly after. They have a body and foot like a mushroom, and not extending out very far at all.

Back
Top Bottom