Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to mvcg
Hi All! The Xenia above was doing fantastic! It had split three times and was spreading out nicely. However, please note the word "was"...

About 6 weeks ago, after returning from work, I put my hand into the tank and the water was very cold. As a matter of fact, the digital thermometer said 69.1 degrees!! My heater had stopped working! I was able to replace it and get the temperature back up over a 4 hours period. The hammer, torch, trumpet, open brains, pagoda, and mushrooms have made it. The xenia is pretty much history. The xenia that once stretched out 3 inches or more is now a shriveled little 1/4 inch at best. They aren't dead, just not thriving. In the meantime, my torch and hammer corals are doing awesome. It appears that the hammer coral has new calcium growth!

Any ideas how to bring the xenia back to their glory? Maybe just time?

Does anyone have experience using an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) to keep the heart of their reef system running in the event of a power outage? In my case, that's a 300W heater and a single powerhead. I'm thinking of getting a 1500VA UPS, but would like a general idea of how long it would keep those two items running (worse case scenario with the heater on 100% of the time. I can extrapolate after that).

Thanks for the great site!

mvcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

The the product selector at APC's web site here.

Just total you load (watts) and enter how long you a run time you want. A 750 should give you about 5 hours. I have my heater, sump pump (Mag7) and powerheads (5) on a single 1000va ups. I haven't needed it for more than 10 minutes yet but I also have not calculated the total load yet either.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com