? Whats this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 diatoms. They feed on the silicates in your system. They usually show up in new tanks.

They won't do much to your system....they're just ugly. Diatoms will go away once the silicates in your system are consumed. Is your tank pretty new?

What you see is probably just the beginning. It will likely look like it will turn the entire tank to brown sludge and then will recede as quickly as it showed up. It's basically a form of algae.

Rutrag said:
What you see is probably just the beginning. It will likely look like it will turn the entire tank to brown sludge and then will recede as quickly as it showed up. It's basically a form of algae.

So it will go away on its own? How long will that take?

Generally speaking yes. I just scrape it from the front glass so it doesn't look too awful. They need silicate to survive, and that should be consumed in a week or two then they will begin to recede unless you do something to add more silicate like adding new sand.

Rutrag said:
Generally speaking yes. I just scrape it from the front glass so it doesn't look too awful. They need silicate to survive, and that should be consumed in a week or two then they will begin to recede unless you do something to add more silicate like adding new sand.

I havent added anything new

4 weeks is still a new tank, mine has been set up for like 6 and am still waiting for it to happen.GL!

Back
Top Bottom