White Fuzzy Algae Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone.

I have been in the hobby for maybe 5 years now and this time around I used 30 pounds of Real Reef rock. Well out of the blue I now have this white fuzzy algae. It's not the usual hair algae. Its real short and fuzzy. Easily scrapes off with a toothbrush but comes right back. I can't take a pic of it cause it's so white and fine that my camera won't pick it up. It's like very very small strands of white hair. Almost looks like a small fungus. Anyone have this problem before. I have never had this type of algae until I got this new real reef rock. It's not very over powering but I kinda have OCD when it's something wrong with my tank lol.

Can you take a picture? It could be a fungus, but I want to say another user reported something similar once that turned out to be some sort of parasite that lived in the sandbed. Just want to be safe over sorry.

I was in fact dosing Microbacret7 which is a carbon dosing additive. Could it be bacteria?

img_3132039_0_e616a56f964d954f806f006d98239ef2.jpg

img_3132039_1_7a5050ae53b6cb350b06ec4f499d5c1d.jpg

Can you take a picture? It could be a fungus, but I want to say another user reported something similar once that turned out to be some sort of parasite that lived in the sandbed. Just want to be safe over sorry.

will api pimafix help

Any other thoughts? This stuff is growing all over the rocks. Looks like a thin white mold.

I think i have the same thing good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mine is on my back wall of my biocube

If it is a bacteria bloom? What should he do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice. Big toke

If it is a bacterial bloom, in a manner like this I wouldn't be overly worried. This would most likely be a bloom of the beneficial bacteria that is being supplemented. It is pretty easy to figure out, stop the carbon dosing and see what happens to it.

that looks just like what I had in my sand bed it almost looked like a rug
it wound up being spinoid worms big pain in the butt I had to replace my entire sand bed to get rid of them , after a while if you leave them your sand bed will turn into a hard brick , the only way I was able to get them off my rocks was to remove 1 rock at a time placing it in a bucket of tank water and scrubbing with a stiff bristle electric tooth brush that was dipped in vinegar , they are really no fun having to deal with ..
I ignored it at first guess I was in denial and this is what happen causing me to replace my whole sand bed it got nasty. and this sand bed was less than a year in
img_3150747_0_0cc9959602d0355230e7e3d11d5dc8e1.jpg

img_3150747_1_f4093ad208879bffd1f03fe043d395bc.jpg

not the best picts but you can see the damage

Spionid worm | Melev's Reef

I know those snails and it's not that. My problem started when I used Microbacter7. I admit I might have overdosed it when I added this new live rock to fight any bad ammonia since it was in a current display tank. I stopped the carbon dosing and it seems to be going away a little.

If you look at this pict closely you'll see the fuzzy stuff your describing at first I thought just like you not wanting to believe till the mess infested my whole tank
trust me if I didn't think it was the same thing I wouldn't be telling you about it.
your tank looks so much better than mine I'd hate to see this thing get you too
60069-albums10662-picture68242.jpg

He first pics look identical to mine but the last ones look completely different

Back
Top Bottom