Worms in chaeda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. So my fuge light took a crap a couple days ago and a finally fixed it and put it back on the fuge and found a bunch of long, white stringy things attached to the chaeda just blowing in the current. I thought it might be just some slime that made it past the filter during a change but took a strand of chaeda out to get a closer look and IT quickly retracted. Got a closer look and it's definitely some sort of worm that has a base on it appearing to have holes in it where more may be starting. What is this? Is it bad for the tank? I've never seen this before! Too small to get a good picture of it. When taken out of the water they retract and so I put IT back into a container of water and it's out and about and definitely moving and has tiny hairlike things all over it's body. Please advise! Thanks!

i don't know what you are describing, but if it's in your refugium, it's most likely unable to harm your system. i would put the chaeto back in the refugium.

mr_X said:
i don't know what you are describing, but if it's in your refugium, it's most likely unable to harm your system. i would put the chaeto back in the refugium.

Yea I left them alone. Just took out one strand to investigate. Lol. Just crazy cuz tank has been running 6 months now and I keep a close eye on everything. Two days ago they weren't there. Now there's like 10, some up to 2 inches long.

After further investigation I found it only retracts to a certain size when threatened. I held the strand of chaeto in the tank with worm attached and it lengthen to 5 times it's size and was skinnier but the tip was fatter. My fish would go for a taste and it retracted when they got close or bit it. Then it stretches back out again very quickly. Weird creatures! This is why I love saltwater aquaria; there's always something new!

mr_X said:
try to take a picture.

After I got the new bulbs in and lights were on for a couple hours they disappeared..
???? Not sure what happened. LFS told me to bring one in and thought they are white worms or something.. He said they often come out of the sand or attached to live rock but never have seen them in chaeto. If I find them again I'll try to get pics..

What your describing is a bristle worm. Nothing to worry about. They help with cleanup.

GotReef said:
What your describing is a bristle worm. Nothing to worry about. They help with cleanup.

Actually I know exactly what a bristle worm is. This is NOT a bristle worm. After 6 months running I have only found one single bristle worm in my rock and during a remodel I placed the rocks in a container and added a 10 lbs of sand and out he came beneath the sand as I was doing a water change in the process. I have spend clountless nights looking at every square inch of Rock in every crevice and hole, looking for the other bristles that were said to have had to been there; but to no avail! There is only one single bristle worm in my entire tank and I don't know why from all the threads I've read but that's it. Since day one there has only been one so we thought it necessary to name him Harry! Harry the bristle worm and that's how it stands! Thanks tho for the input!.............

That is rare that you have just one. I do the same in my tank looking at everything a thousand times over. Making the slightest adjustments. I'm stumped if it is not a bristle worm. Hopefully you can get a pic. I'm interested in what it could be.

Sorry for taking so long. Guess there's an Update in order. Mystery worms have moved from fuge area to my LR and are multiplying rapidly! I attached some photos! Hope you can see it! It's attached to the rock and extends and retracts and blows around in the current. I noticed they only like high flow areas. On the chaeto ball they are only on the side directly under the overflow. If I trim the ball so it can tumble they retract completely and become virtually invisible.

Attachments

• image-3657718976.jpg
    image-3657718976.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1564805131.jpg
    image-1564805131.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 94
i see one little thing that could be a worm, but it's much too far away to give a guess at. why don't you take a worm and put it in a cup of tank water and take a close picture?

Ok I'll try to get a better pic... When I take them out of the water they retract. I tried putting them in a cup of water but they don't stretch back out. I'll take a strand of chaeto with one on it and hold it in the water closer to the glass. I think that will work....

Back
Top Bottom