Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

29 gallon craigslist steal!

Just picked up a 29 gallon saltwater with EVERYTHING including 50+ lbs of live rock for 100$! The guy was just tired of the maintenance & wanted to sell quick. He gave me a huge 10 gallon bucket of extras that I havent even gone thru yet. This is my 1st saltwater so im a little overwhelmed. I have ALOT of research to do

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130713_012412.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	185858

I just got everything in so its still cloudy and I'm going to have to arrange the rock better
Any tips or advice is welcome!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good grab. And welcome to wonderful world of salt. Did any fish, coral , crabs come with it and did you keep the filter media wet. Do you want a reef and do you know what lights you've got. Please post a a list of what you got with it

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some helpful list
Cycling a Saltwater Aquarium
Cycling a Saltwater Aquarium
Checklist of Items Needed to Start a Saltwater Aquarium
Starting a Reef Aquarium

10g saltwater
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you I know nothing about saltwater but I knew I wouldnt get another chance at an established tank so cheap so I HAD to get it. Its got a 20-40 Hob filter with bioballs and a sponge in it. I added some polyfill to help clear the water. I kept the media wet. We transferred all the rock into 5 gallon buckets filled with the tank water. I kept all the tank water and added it back in when I set it back up. He also had a brand new powerhead to go with it. And of course the heater. The light is just a standard fluorescent but I have a spare marineland doublebright led light I can use for it. I'd really love a reef but not sure if I need anything more to do that. Oh and theres 1 snail in the tank
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a hydrometer and a saltwater api test kit from another craigslist buy. Didn't need them then but once again they were a good deal so I bought them "just in case" lol
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Thank you I know nothing about saltwater but I knew I wouldnt get another chance at an established tank so cheap so I HAD to get it. Its got a 20-40 Hob filter with bioballs and a sponge in it. I added some polyfill to help clear the water. I kept the media wet. We transferred all the rock into 5 gallon buckets filled with the tank water. I kept all the tank water and added it back in when I set it back up. He also had a brand new powerhead to go with it. And of course the heater. The light is just a standard fluorescent but I have a spare marineland doublebright led light I can use for it. I'd really love a reef but not sure if I need anything more to do that. Oh and theres 1 snail in the tank
Sounds good, you have everything you need to get started with. You could be able to keep some lowlight corals mabye. Like mushrooms or zoas. Zoas are poisonous though. Reefs are awesome and worth the money. You can always upgrade lighting to if you want. I would give about 3-4 weeks and add your first fish. Any ideas yet on stocking?

10g saltwater
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since everything including the rock got moved in the tank water will the tank already be cycled?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

So the marineland led will be ok for a start then? Stocking im clueless?! I know my 4 year old wants a starfish and a urchin lol! As far as fish I dont really have any idea whats ok for a 29? Im almost is panic mode that im gonna screw this all up,it was literally spur of the moment purchase. So if I start a reef do I need to remove some of the rock? It already seems VERY full with whats in there now
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Since everything including the rock got moved in the tank water will the tank already be cycled?
Yep, but you might have a mini cycle and you need to let everything stabilize again so a few weeks waiting is best

10g saltwater
Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With only live rock, theres not really that much to screw up.

Just give it time, do some research and it will be okay.

If you think its to much rock you could get rid of some, they say about a pound per gallon so 50 is a bit much.

The marineland lights aren't the best for reefs but for starting up they would be fine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com