Autumnsky's 72G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah right here fishy fishy here fishy fishy I'll keep you safe. This morning I caught him trying to get another one so I think this is a pretty fairly recent Revelation that there are small ones can actually sit in his mouth he seem to be chasing a big one though and I don't think it fit cuz he got away especially when I yelled and tapped at them on the glass. Hopefully they can last 8 hours till I get home.

Lol - maybe the angelfish has been watching the nature channel??

‘what, really - fish catch stuff. Yuck, wait a second - I’m a fish...’

Ah, we were watching an ocean documentary a few days ago.

So nothing seems to go easy. (except money)

Moved the old decrepit AC 110 over to the 46G after adding the water to the tank and low and behold even though I just recently cleaned it out it poofed a cloud of debris into the tank and I have cloudy tan water.

The concentrated tannins from the water must have reconstituted too like instant tea. Plus there was a fair amount of little bits of loose wood almost like tiny saw dust from the DW and perhaps the BN plecos that used to be in there. I think while being wet they were sunken but after drying out for weeks they were like floaties.

Then I decided to add the spare Fluval FX-5 which was gonna be for the fancy Goldies tank in the future (or Discus). Didn't get quite enough water in it to prime start up and it bubbled over and over. Then being in a distracted exasperation, I neglected to close the valves when I removed the outflow tube and water poured all over the floor...

Can I just say staying at work would have been more fun...

Anyway I dug around the storage closet and added a big heater, water was partially filled with cold garden hose water, and some buckets of hot water but still a wee bit low for the Angels.

Wondering if I had connected it wrong I checked the online manual.

I was just a bit stressed and had it connected correctly just needed more water in it. Started like a charm after that.

Had to move the AC 110 over to the right side to fit the FX-5 and then it just barely wanted to work again. Right now it is rattling loudly, and is annoying.

One surprise was that I had the FX-5 since the end of summer just sittling in the corner of the storage closet and when I opened it found I had 3 baskets full -too full, of media, 2 of ceramic tubes and one of Matrix. I added some of the active media from the 29G and the 110 into each layer there are 3. I removed 2 trenta /30 ounce Starbucks cups, 1 of each tray of the ceramic rings. Might add them back in in bags to the 72G to build more active media.

So for now I will capture all of the Neons from the 29G QT and get them acclimated to go into the 72G tank. I want to remove a spiky DW, I think from the 72G to make more room in the middle for the Neons to swim.

Hoping the 46G clears up quickly so I do not have to do a water change or wait till tomorrow to move the 3 Angels in there. Added the new Purigen in the AC110 and forgot to move it to the FX-5 when I had it open. :facepalm:

Fingers crossed for a better part 2 - move for the fish / tank swap.

395 days since I updated here - wow. That is surprising. Kinda shocking actually.

Anyhow...

The tank has lower light and and kinda dark in there.

Haven't been able to source my favorite Ferka Stemma and Rosetta fert capsules forever now will check this weekend one last time. Even emailed the seller from a couple years back and no response.

Some small changes in the scape, had done a big clean up then had a 6 month reno project ruin my fish and dented the people life too big time!

Nearing completion on the reno, literally boxes from the other room were stacked in front of the cabinets/stands for the tanks and tanks were also mostly blocked except for the feeding corners :eek:

Got a group of 12 or 13 very young Congo Tetras from the CAS spring auction. All have done well, grown from under a very small to small Neon Tetra Size to most slightly larger now. They have slightly different bodies deeper chest.

Added the Congo Tetras from the QT to the 72G.

The Neons generally hang out in the bottom half of the tank. Congos top 1/3rd after they were added they decided to split the difference and most are in the 2nd 1/4 to half mixing in together and separating back out again. The 72G has much more flow than their little 20G long tank did. They are needing to gain some muscle strength, they are a bit chubby too so they can use up some of their extra for muscle.

Can't wait to see them in adult colors. Delapool had a bunch of these and made me want them again.

Plants aren't doing that well but I did have a flower on my Anubias Nana. Back late February to mid March. It has now turned green.

60074-albums11380-picture72005.jpg

Need to do a filter media rinse out Did the tank water thru the FX-5 week or so ago, that flushes a bunch of muck out but the media is due for rinsing. Been 6 months, I think.

I have a pair of Albino Cory and they seem to spawn but I don't think there will ever be a survivor because of the hungry fish.

The Bronze Cories are so big now. They are over 5 years old and a couple are 3 inches body.

Rarely see an Albino BN Pleco so fear they have been bullied out by the Clown Loaches.

Thinking about them now whether I can get a bigger tank for them this year. I am slowly upgrading tanks and reducing the quantity of tanks as I literally am sitting on the couch next to my empty 12G rectangle Mr. Aqua tank. Trying to rethink a few other moves for the smaller tanks.

Will probably put a Plakat Betta into the 72G. It was sold to me as a HE but I really believe it is a SHE. The body just looks fat and broader and shorter. So Although she gets along okay with the Guppy and Endler in the Wine Glass I feel like this active fish would like it better with more room for swimming and exploring.

About 6 weeks ago I started dosing Flourish water column fert. Really need the capsules. API ones don't seem to last very long.

Adding a Java Fern covered wood to the back of the tank becasue I am trying to make room in another.

Still running the AquaClear 110 and the Fluval FX-5. ~1200gp/h (4550L p/h)with filter media needing cleaned. Otherwise would be almost 1500gp/h / 5678Lp/h

My wide Eel Grass seems to have died off Have a Jungle Val with a few leaves and Aponogeton ulvaceus okay but not great, probably needs more root ferts.

Anubias of several kinds all doing pretty well - I love Coffeefolia, its growing like crazy, and pretty neat color stems and leaf texture.

Have 4 or 5 Clown Loaches 4" to 7"
4 Dwarf Petricola Synodontis Catfish
2 young Albino Cories
about 5 Bronze or Green Cories

A few left of the Corydoras paleatus / Pepper Cory.

Unknown about the Albino BN - could be guarding a cave of babies... Had 3 last year.

35 Neons and 6 are Green Neon one left of the Glowlight and maybe one of the Ember Tetras still mixed in there. Not replacing any of the stragglers.

12/13 Congo Tetras

6 Serpae Tetras reg and long fin

Pair of Odessa Barbs

Maybe I will learn how to program my tank light and brighten it up in there.

Will try to get a pic soon.

Last edited:
Been a bit,

Congo Tetras are doing great, eat like pigs. Maturing now getting colors on the biggest males.

A not that great pic but at least you can see it. If I get some more time I will edit a couple more pics for the next couple weeks. Green Neons lateral stripes in the background.

60074-albums11380-picture72196.jpg

Haven't done anything with ferts.

Did a big pwc about 2 weeks back and also cleaned out the A/C 110.

Hoping to do the canister filter, FX-5 tomorrow with the pwc.

The fish are getting along well, haven't seen any issues between them.

I just need to get the pwc system set up... (probably never happen :( ) Had this issue for 5 years. Maybe in few weeks. Have to go out of town next week. Still have a stack of boxes in the way.

287 days wow, it has been so long the missing updates.

A bunch of things have happened.

The mess of boxes was cleaned up, the filter has been been cleaned appx. every 3-4 months.

The AC 110 is running great.

The Congos are getting a tank 80G Innovative Marine (SW) being used for FW. Which is running but there has been forever delays...

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumskys-congos-lazy-river-80g-370444.html

The Clown Loaches will be moving away too, to the 80G Lazy River tank.

The 72G will be a small fish and nano fish tank for now.

Lots of male Endlers and Guppies appx 25 now.
Cories and the remaining Neons.
Added an adopted Rainbow shark.
2 SAE still doing very well
6 long and standard fin Serpae Tetras

It is late now, will add more pics soon.

Just wanted to make a notation of this article about the other bottom fish, the Dwarf Petricola now know as Synodontis Lucipinnis
https://www.scotcat.com/articles/article120.htm

Trying to decide about keeping these guys in the tank, or moving them. They are darn cute, when they come out.

Looking at getting another maybe 5 Glass Cats, not a priority buy right now but if a good deal comes around!

Ah, livebearers fish.

:invasion:

There have been hundreds now, and after capturing the males and adding to the 72G there are maybe 70-90. Including small males.

The rule is if it is a certain size and not got a gravid spot, it is a male! Working excellently.

I am hoping to get a bunch of these males to a fish store. I need to get the water changes up. To dilute the hormones and get them a little bit bigger. Or if there are no takers, then will sell them locally.

The weather is too hot right now and likely the next 6 weeks or so for long distance travel by mail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Clown Loaches are happy in their new 80G home.

One of the Yoyo Loaches ended up there already, accidentally got scooped up with the CL's, though I was waiting to decide for sure whether to move them all over. (In addition to the large bioload moving those big fish and Congo
Tetras).

In order to get them all out of there all the big DW pieces had to come out to scoop the fish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now there is a new thought of moving the male Guppies and Endlers. Also to the 80G, replacing the Endlers colony (moved) somewhere else. New home?

More about all that with the moving around tank occupants /things plans after they can get sorted.

Many fish and shrimp will be playing musical chairs [tanks], and some fish will not get a chair [tank] in my home.

Also in the plans for this tank, I want to rescape it some. the biggest thing I hope will be the change of removing some Eco-Complete for sand to the front half or 2/3rds.

It would be lovely for the Cories.

There will be many gravel vac's to get the OLD Eco-Complete cleaned up and then eventually out of the tank, in hopes to keep the nitrates from exploding.

The Cories will love the sand of course. And I have been wanting to get more Cories :)

Big happenings but only a small update.

Did a bunch of water changing today because I moved 2 large Java Fern covered DW in order to capture the Yoyo Loaches 100G pwc back to back and rinsed the filter FX-5.

Got the Nitrate down to 10 which is a big change. After I was away recently they were high.

Moved the Yoyos but accidentally missed one :nono: So more work tomorrow. And the last Dwarf Petricola unless one was hiding in the DW I moved.

Dropped out a Kuhli Loach from the Java Fern DW also as I was moving it over to the newer 80G tank. He got put back into the 72G so he could hang out with his friends!

60074-albums11380-picture72674.jpg

The pretty coffeefolia covering the spiky large DW

60074-albums11380-picture72679.jpg

The sad side of the tank missing it's 2 xl DW covered in JF. Will probably move one of them back, as the biggest one is tall and the 80G lagoon style tank probably won't cover the leaves of the JF very well.

60074-albums11380-picture72683.jpg

Missed one of the Yoyo Loaches in the 72G so will be messing with the tank soon. Hoping that the capture goes smoothly. It has a really good hiding place.

I will be scooping out a bunch of the Endlers in the 80G to rehome and sell some. Then a good bunch of the male Guppies and Endlers will go into that tank for color and top interest. Leaving an open space for a group of 20 -25 Cardinal Tetras.

Also considering the possibility of moving some shrimp into the tank.

If so will probably have the Cardinals in the 80G instead. Still in planning and "in case of" options. Have made an offer for the Cardinals but didn't actually pick them up.

Thank you. Also oddly the nana petite on a rock in the back of the tank on the substrate has a bunch of algae... hard to figure out these things sometimes.

Pretty excited, as you can see the piece of Bolbitis isn't doing that well, and found a new chunk a hobbiest is trimmed off about 12"x16" for a very good price, so will add this new one, will have to drive an hour to pick it up though, (but hoping for some new fish as well in the same trip ;) )

Found some Blue Moscow male Guppies and some red, and Orange male Guppies too from the new CAS marketplace! I will be well stocked and broke from now on, lol!

It’s strange like that with anubias - about every few months I squirt H2O2 around them for BBA. The larger Anubias gets about the same algae on older leaves but is half the distance to lights.

Any time I get them I always lose some. Buy 6-12, lose 2-4.

One thing about them is the long trip from catchers where they live (who may use poison methods) from middleman to middleman to maybe even another middleman, to the company wholesaler to retailer to us - long trip, more long trips and more long trips, etc. Surprising that we end up with any!

Try some tank raised ones. I try to only buy tank raised now.
Haha! If we want 6 we buy 8 of anything little.

Smart!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, my new Ecoxotic 48" light arrived, got a second to add it to the 72G today and I LOVE the bright clean shimmer looking light. I am looking at the difference between that one and the 80G and I can not believe the difference. This light is the biggest bargain out there. Thank you clearance pricing.

I will order one more 48" there are not that many left now (cause of me probably talking them up) and then the 24" seems like a great one too - Even my corals in the 36" wide tank have positively responded. When I switched the broken light with the other 24" from the 30G (24") Waterbox (which had 2 and definitely didn't need 2 lights).

Anyway, it makes the tank much more vibrant looking whereas before it was dim. The fish have no where to hide now - it's bright. But also that wat the default when I plugged it in. The lighting can be changed and programmed with custom channels.

I saved the instructions so I can figure out how to program them. After all this time, lol.

Will hope to get some time to freshen up the tank like I was planning. Too many other things going on at the moment.

The momma Guppies and Endlers are a little bit too happy in there - they are everywhere!!!

Stock and tank update.

316 day update.

The Endlers and Guppies were moved to the other tank except I kept a bunch of males in the tank.

And would scoop out the males as they showed their colors and add them in.

Did a bunch of fish tank swapping.

Ended up moving the Hyphessobycon Wadai aka Blueberry Tetra.

Then surprisingly ended up moving house locations and sold some tanks, a number of fish, and ended up redistributing fish here and there.

CHANGED substrate!!!

Changed the EcoComplete to just 1/3 in the back and then my 80G river tank fine sand and a 20lb bag of Caribsea Sunset Gold for a variation and lightening of the sand. Added some pebbles.

Petrified wood stones.

A several pieces of DW and the plants attached, Anubias Barteri as was there before, Coffeefolia and African Water Fern / Bolbitis heteroclita Java Fern DW.

Then there is a small Anubias Congensis.

A couple types of Java Fern

Adopted several new additions for the groups I already have.

So now this tank has
8 Clown Loaches

6 Hatchets, 5 Silver and one adopted Marble.

7 or 8 Albino Cories.

1 adopted Golden Dojo Loach.

8 or 9 Glass Cats

remaining 3 Ember Tetras hope to find a few more.

Regular BN pleco

6 Bolivian Rams

A black Neon (adopted) and some Cardinal Tetras, maybe 8-10

1 SAE

***Have to break at this point and will add the rest if I forgot any.:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom