Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooo tempted - might be a Xmas goose. I'm guessing it has lots of years left but I'm actually a bit worried if it ever gets sick as I don't think I'd ever find it.

Good news is another flower stem is out of the water and poking out one of the back corners of tank. This time seeds for sure (surely found all the tricks to them now....).

I have had great success rehoming fish. Perhaps there is someone near you who would love him.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I got my big Spotted Raphael Catfish after being told it got 3.5-4" (equated to a BN Pleco) when it was a tiny just over half inch ~ 1.5cm little baby. Don't trust the lfs information!!!

Now it is almost as big as my hand 4 inches across and about 5-6" tall and nearly 8 inches long with the mouth the size of a boulder marble (~1inch or like a oval quarter)! I see it wiggle out a few times a month to eat at night when I feed the bottom guys at light out.

The other one that is huge is the almost never see him upside down catfish (it came from my daughter who rescued it in a college town where someone was moving away and she took their fish - still looking for the person who has a shoal of these guys, to donate to, a year+ later). Its huge too. Big bioload little reward! I know what you mean.

Your tank is really looking nice though.

Text messages you don't want to get....

OMG a fish just jumped out and was flopping around on the tiles. I put him back

Time to get some duct tape!

Pretty tempting to tape him down :) Yoyo loaches - worse than puppies. Tried finding a replacement for the other one that jumped out last week but no luck at 4(!) stores.

This one actually got out at the back of the tank where there is a thumb size gap around filter pipes. Cut up some plastic so fingers crossed.

Generally happy with tank now and just letting plants grow in a bit more.

(The call of the discus is getting stronger though :) ).

74564-albums13177-picture70621.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70623.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70622.jpg

Text messages you don't want to get....

OMG a fish just jumped out and was flopping around on the tiles. I put him back

Lol. This is why I always keep a covered tank.

We had a goldfish tank very briefly. They kept disappearing but we never found any bodies. One day while sitting near the tank one jumped out and when splat on the floor. Our pot bellied pig woke up out a dead sleep at the sound and RAN to the tank and had fresh sushi. Mystery solved.

Lol. This is why I always keep a covered tank.

We had a goldfish tank very briefly. They kept disappearing but we never found any bodies. One day while sitting near the tank one jumped out and when splat on the floor. Our pot bellied pig woke up out a dead sleep at the sound and RAN to the tank and had fresh sushi. Mystery solved.

Yikes :) It's a dangerous life for a fish.

I found native perch were bad for jumping but these loaches are the worse. I reckon I've lost about 6 now all the same way. Good for several months and then, blip, they spot a gap.

When for awhile I had a couple of Fiddler Crabs, the entire rear of the top was covered with plastic film and, yes, duct taped across the back and taped around the intakes and airline, zero escapes or jumpers then. It is off now, as tape eventually lost adhesion so removed it. One time after a deep cleaning, it was removed and replaced. After you figure out where the tape goes it doesn't take long at all.

Yes, the call of the Discus. I have 2 tanks up on tabs right now - a 155G bowfront and a 175 bowfront, apparently same foot print but the larger one is 3 inches taller (did someone say ladder). ;)

There is an importer just 20 miles from me and has really beautiful fish. Was told to me by a CAS member who saw them and I have seen some CL ads. Just what I need is a new way to spend hundreds of $$$.

Need a solid auto change system plan first. Do you have any thoughts for a auto water changer system?

Have admired those fish since was a wee child (very many years, lol). And now more than a rainbow of choices of colors and patterns.

Good point on water changer. At the moment it's gravel vac / buckets to garden (10gal every 8minutes) and then refill from hose. It's when I start playing with plants that a pwc takes over an hour.

I was thinking though of having a finger thick layer of black pebbles with several pots of val or something hardy. Maybe - could also do a large pile of driftwood and just let algae grow. Really low tech tank. That would be a nice change from now.

That looks nice! I don't think I could do much in the way of plants - they never grew before under low tech very well but I'd like to have something.

Apparently in March next year we have a guest speaker coming in to talk discus.

Woah!! At least he was found and rescued :)

Lucky fish! Seems to be super-active in morning and disappears at night. Might drive over to shop and get two more this weekend (replace the other one that jumped out).

I've cut out some plastic so bit of a fiddle now to get into tank but that should hopefully stop them jumping.

Probably a couple of weeks to a couple of days. It depends on the shop / where I bought them.

I don't really like buying any fish over summer peak, even with QT.

If they have been in the shop for a bit I'm more confident. I've also found a good shop where the risk is a bit lower.

Last edited:
Why is that? Higher rate of issues in summer?

Yes pretty much. More risk of bacterial infections I find. Found some better shops but my QT gets a degree or two hotter and the main tank can lift a degree. So I tend to try and skip buying in warmer months but have been mainly buying plants over the last few years so still getting in there :)

Back
Top Bottom