10 gallon column tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a Top Fin Fascinate tank this week which is a 10 gallon column tank. I switched the filter for a Top Fin MF10 because it’s quieter than the HOB that came with the tank and I like the adjustable water flow and direction. The heater is set to 80-82°F. I planted it with rotala and another plant, but I’m not sure what it’s called, and I got a hide and a couple small pieces of driftwood for it too. The substrate is CaribSea FloraMax and I added Aqueon Water Conditioner, API Quick Start, and API CO2 Booster to start the nitrogen cycle and help the plants grow. There is also a common goldfish and a blue mystery snail in it at the moment to aid in creating ammonia for the cycle (I didn’t buy the goldfish for this, it was given to me a few weeks ago and I needed to get out of the tank I’d had it in because it was picking on my rasboras and dwarf gouramis).

Once the cycle is finished and the bacteria colonies are established, I think I have an idea of what I want, but I’m not 100% sure. So here’s what I was thinking:
- 1 betta (m or f, doesn’t matter too much tbh)
- 5-10 cherry shrimp
- 5 kuhli loaches

What do you think? Will the kuhlis be too much for this tank? Is there something you think would be better?

PS - I asked this on another platform, and I got a lot of suggestions to put rasboras or small tetras in there, but I feel like those are too active for a tall tank and need more of a longer tank. Also, this tank is equipped with lights for GloFish too, I think, so any suggestions about that? Oh, and before I forget, please don’t suggest guppies; I do not want them in this tank.

56883482552__98954E75-2025-4F8D-BD1F-531577AEB825.jpg

Thank you for your help:)

First off the tank looks nice
Secondly i would not suggest putting kuhli loachs in a colum tank if it was a colum tank bigger then 10 gallons or a normal 10 gallon tank then it would be ok a 10 gallon colum would lack the room for them. The cherry shrimp would look nice by themselves but with a betta they could be looked at like tastey morsels, but that's with the bettas i have they killed all the shrimps in there tanks and 1 snail. I would suggest maybe a shrimp tank or a honey gourmai instead of a betta to keep with shrimp

Instead of cherries, do you think ghost shrimp would be better since they're cheaper and usually get a bit bigger? I like snails, and I've got mystery snails in every tank I've got except my pea puffer tank, but I feel like they leave a lot behind, plus I really like to watch the shrimp as well. I've had mixed luck with bettas and shrimp in the past and in my experience, it all depends on the temperament of the individual betta:/

Also, I spoke to a user on another platform and they suggested stacking smooth river stones and super gluing them together to make a background that would add more surface area and hiding places for things like shrimp. This idea was originally to try and provide more of a footprint for the loaches. Do you think that could possibly allow me to have loaches in this tank or would the footprint still be too small? I really like the look of this tank, but the footprint size is making it so difficult to stock, unfortunately.

I still wouldn't think so the since they are bottom dwellers and grow about 3-4 inches if i remember correctly. Like u said it all depends on the betta i have 2 one that kill anything in its tank the other is the complete opposite he is in a tank with African dwarf frogs and once ghost shrimp but they died of age. So betta and shrimps is 1 idea maybe micro fish like pygmy corys and micro rassbora with shrimp

I think 10g no matter what style of tank is to small for khuli loaches.

I also could never keep shrimp with my bettas without the betta hunting them down one by one and eating them.

Back
Top Bottom