Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like it's been some time since my last update. I've been pretty busy but also having trouble getting the photos into photobucket or emailed as files after the last iphone system update :(

I hacked the tank plants back a bit before going away to Eastern Australia and the left side is still recovering :) Right side is going nicely so planning just to trim a bit. The left side has some shoots coming off the trimmed plants so should start to thicken up. In hindsight I should of removed some of the red stem plants not doing so well and replaced them with trimmings. But all up liking the tank and still very easy to clean.

The flowers are still defeating me. They really die off / wilt back after a water change so this one I've let grow to the front of the tank in the direction of water flow and it is easier to let it drop down a bit during a water change. I think this is the 5th flower. The stem is around 3ft long(!) and there is a second one trying the same thing. I'm letting the stems sit in the water for some time until the flower is well on its way which seems to reduce stem bruising from filter outflow.

Nitrates at 5ppm and phosphates at 5ppm. Might have to dig out the nitrate ferts. Sadly lost another 2 congo tetras for no reason I can pick (unless it was the CO2 again). The little yoyo loach that jumped out is doing well and hopefully will make it to the store this week to pick up some more.

The betta looked like he got fed the same amount as the DT while I was away so is on a diet (doesn't seem thrilled about it...).

74564-albums13177-picture70682.jpg

Stunning as usual. My betta has a bit of girth, but I just don't know about a DIET.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might be lettuce for a week! Unfortunately wasn't clear in my instructions - good thing he is used to large water changes.

I think next time I will start trimming from the right side of tank. Looking at the photo I've realised I prune the left side first, trim the hygro at the front to keep it like a carpet and then go run out of steam on the right side of tank. So it escapes for another week.

Thanks! Getting there - tank cleans are much easier and liking the slower growing plants.

Not sure if these flower stems have some sort of racial memory. When I tried one out the side of tank, subsequent ones seemed to crab sideways to follow.

Now with one out the front, the second has just about hit the same spot (just slightly off the gap in covers). Wondering if some sort of pollination thing or just coincidence .

Went into the fish shop and bought another pair of young yoyo loaches to give the surviving one a playmate. The older two are really too big for him.

Then got slightly carried away and bought 3 more congo tetras. Hopefully got one male at least in there but very young and hard to tell. Next time will watch the bagging a bit more carefully. That gives me 6 young ones and both lots of young loaches and tetras looked a lot better swimming around in a school and looking like they were having a ball keeping an eye on each other.

Bought replacement t5ho bulbs (almost got another LED to replace instead but anyways).

And these caught my eye so a pair are in the tank as well.

74564-albums13177-picture70704.jpg

I'm surprised your allowed to go to the lfs without spouse supervision. Lol

I said I was going to the pool shop :)

The pool shop tested for calcium last week so as pool tester I thought to get a calcium test kit (who knew pools were so complex!). So I really went in for a calcium test kit....

Mind you I destroyed the receipt :)

Naughty naughty naughty! And of course no one has actually counted your fish! [emoji23]

It felt great buying fish too! It's been years of buying mainly plants, this time I was in looking at fish instead.

I bought 6 neons today.... and they gave me a ton of mts to feed Mr. Puff. IMG_1478577830.345253.jpg

I've killed so many plants I'm sticking to fish and snails for a while.

Wow - snails galore there!

Pretty sweet now in tank. Trim back the ambulia and hygro next week and just waiting for red plants to grow out hopefully. The ambulia in particular has gotten out of control and needs hacking back.

This should do me now (unless I can "win" a tank at "society auction night" - cough).

Those angels are very nice. You're probably one of the most addicted to fish shopping I know. I do like a good browse but destroying receipts? Haha.

Those angels are very nice. You're probably one of the most addicted to fish shopping I know. I do like a good browse but destroying receipts? Haha.

Probably why I'm not allowed any more tanks :(

I thought of lots and lots of good arguments that I'm a balanced shopper but I realised I forgot to get fish food so will be practically forced to make a return trip this weekend (er, for the good of the fish, and support lfs, and um ....).

Fish have settled in well. With a bit of luck the plants should be growing nicely on the sides in a month. Second flower is out of tank in same spot so seems to be better chance this time.

*subconsciously forgets to buy fish food... [emoji848]
Gorgeous fish there to go with that colorful tank. Watching vicariously.

:)

I'll see if I can get a tank shot on weekend when they are all out. There is enough cover from the Java ferns that the bumblebee catfish had been coming out more and chasing a better photo of him (any photo of him really).

Back
Top Bottom