Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

The easiest way to stop motion would be as follows:

Switch to APERTURE-priority mode, also known as Av mode, or a mode where you can change numbers that look like 3.5, 4, 4.5 etc. Adjust this Aperture number to the lowest value possible. (DOF on P&S cameras doesn't matter much, and fish are thin) Then, change your ISO to the highest number possible. This will result in pretty much the fastest shutter speed and should reduce blur if your tank is lit well enough.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Now here's a question that reefrunner69 might be able to answer for me. I currently am using a Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB microdrive. When taking pics of my tanks, they tend to be more on the greenish side. Also, if I have some white in the background, the white turns up more of a light red or pink in color. What setting do you think I may have wrong? I've tried various numbers of the manual settings, but have not figured why everything seems greenish. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
You might want to check out the review section here: http://www.megapixel.net

They explain every single function on my new camera (Olympus SP-500 UZ), which is actually a 2005 model that got for a good deal on a closeout at Staples. A 6MP SLR-like camera w/10 X optical zoom and a f2.8 aperture for $150.00 sounded like a good deal to me!

I found a page for the D50 and the D80, but nothing on the D70. Perhaps one of those models is similar to yours...

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #54
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Now here's a question that reefrunner69 might be able to answer for me. I currently am using a Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB microdrive. When taking pics of my tanks, they tend to be more on the greenish side. Also, if I have some white in the background, the white turns up more of a light red or pink in color. What setting do you think I may have wrong?
White Balance. Consult your manual on how to do a custom white balance, it can also be fixed in photoshop, or if your shooting raw in the raw processor.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I assume you mean an increase in White Balance. I just fiddled with mine until I figured it was right.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I assume you mean an increase in White Balance.
No, I mean to set a custom white balance. I suppose it depends on ow you think of it whether it's an increase or decrease. All white balance is, is telling the camera what white is in a particular lighting. In "Auto White Balance" The camera trys to determine the color temperature of the light and sets the white balance so white will look white in what it perceives to be the color of the light. In the presets (cloudy, incandescent, florescent, etc...) your telling the camera the color temp of the lighting is XXXX° K and it produces a picture for that lighting. In difficult lighting situations, like aquarium photography, a custom white balance is advisable, basically you sample something pure white (or gray, basically a neutral color having the same values for red blue and green pure white = R255 B255 G255 pure black is R0 B0 G0 anything in between with the same values for R G and B is a shade of gray) in the lighting your shooting in, and that sets yuor white balance accordingly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

uhhh...okay

As soon as my brain cools down (you just overloaded it) I'll try that when I get home. I need to take some updated pics of the tanks anyway. That will give me the opportunity to play with the settings. Thanks for the explanation...

Old 07-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good Tips, Thanks all.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I know its an old thread, but a good way to get pics of your fish is a macro lens, or macro setting on a point and shoot. Place the lens up against the aquarium glass (preferably flush against glass). Use either a custom white balance (Shoot a white piece of paper in the same light as your tank, or the best method, shoot an 18% grey card and use photoshop to set the white balance against that card) Try Whibal.com for the cards and a tutorial on how to use them...very helpful, or use the auto white balance setting on the camera.
Also try a higher ISO, 400 or greater, so you can use a faster shutter speed to avoid blur from camera shake (1/80 at the slowest).
Lastly the f-stop...think of the f-stop like the iris of your eye. The smaller the number, the larger the opening, allowing more light to come into the camera, allowing for a faster shutter speed, enabling you to catch a swiming fish without blurring.

Trial and error taking pictures is the key to getting good at taking pictures. And with digital, you are not wasting film...so keep shooting and if you don't like the pics, erase them.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Well since you brought this thread back up, I thought I would add what I do.

Not only do I use a tri-pod, but I use the timer function as well. This allows me to NOT touch the camera when the picture is taken. It really helps out my photo's.

Tags
oto, photo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com