My Golden Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gallowchris

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought I would share this image of my male Golden aka King of the tank LOL he has bread a couple times with my GBR. Thing is he is a horrable parent and eats all the fry or eggs grrr! Too bad because his offspring should be stunning!

ForumRunner_20120212_105433.jpg

Beautiful fish! what other tank mates do you have with this guy and the GBR?

Beautiful fish! what other tank mates do you have with this guy and the GBR?

Thank you! I hope to get this great guy to breed and not eat the eggs :)
His tank mates are

12 Cardinal Tetras
9 Neon Tetras
3 GBR
1 Golden Ram
2 Kribs
1 Red Tail Black Shark
4 Bandit Cory Cats
4 Peacock Goby
24 Cherry Shrimp

and hoping to add in 4-5 Discus soon :)

gallowchris said:
Thank you! I hope to get this great guy to breed and not eat the eggs :)
His tank mates are

12 Cardinal Tetras
9 Neon Tetras
3 GBR
1 Golden Ram
2 Kribs
1 Red Tail Black Shark
4 Bandit Cory Cats
4 Peacock Goby
24 Cherry Shrimp

and hoping to add in 4-5 Discus soon :)

Love your stock list so far. How big is your tank? I know I want a GBR, or two. Do you have 2 females and a male? Also, your GBR don't eat your shrimp or get into fights with your kribs?

Love your stock list so far. How big is your tank? I know I want a GBR, or two. Do you have 2 females and a male? Also, your GBR don't eat your shrimp or get into fights with your kribs?

Thank you very much! Tank is 70 gallon, with two filters Eheim 2213 & Eheim 2215 very important to have clean water with Rams, and Goby. I have 1 male GBR 2 females, 1 Male Golden and 1 Female Golden. So far the GBR's haven't touched any of the shrimp that I know of, hard to count them LOL. The Rams are to busy chasing each other around and I keep them fed. The Kribs and Rams get along just fine, haven't seen any fighting some harmless play though. Everyone seems to be very happy.

If you have any questions about care for Rams let me know

gallowchris said:
Thank you very much! Tank is 70 gallon, with two filters Eheim 2213 & Eheim 2215 very important to have clean water with Rams, and Goby. I have 1 male GBR 2 females, 1 Male Golden and 1 Female Golden. So far the GBR's haven't touched any of the shrimp that I know of, hard to count them LOL. The Rams are to busy chasing each other around and I keep them fed. The Kribs and Rams get along just fine, haven't seen any fighting some harmless play though. Everyone seems to be very happy.

If you have any questions about care for Rams let me know

Thanks! Not sure if I have any specific questions right now, I'm currently in the process of doing a fish in cycle. But any advice or information you might feel could be helpful is more than welcome!

Thanks! Not sure if I have any specific questions right now, I'm currently in the process of doing a fish in cycle. But any advice or information you might feel could be helpful is more than welcome!

If your new to aquariums then I don't suggest you get Rams. They are tricky to keep alive longer than a couple weeks never mind a couple months if you purchase from your LFS. They are beautiful but not a fish you want to put in a new tank. I would say think about adding them after you have a mature stable tank. They don't like ammonia at all, so that has to be 0, nitrite also 0 and only small amounts of nitrate. I keep my tank at all zeros which is done because of my heavy planting and weekly 20-40% water changes plus the heavy filtering. All my guys are over a year old. The golden in the pic is about 16 months old and as big as he will grow. I have lost a couple along the way, hole in the head, which is very common. Make your mistakes with fish that can tolerate different conditions.

gallowchris said:
If your new to aquariums then I don't suggest you get Rams. They are tricky to keep alive longer than a couple weeks never mind a couple months if you purchase from your LFS. They are beautiful but not a fish you want to put in a new tank. I would say think about adding them after you have a mature stable tank. They don't like ammonia at all, so that has to be 0, nitrite also 0 and only small amounts of nitrate. I keep my tank at all zeros which is done because of my heavy planting and weekly 20-40% water changes plus the heavy filtering. All my guys are over a year old. The golden in the pic is about 16 months old and as big as he will grow. I have lost a couple along the way, hole in the head, which is very common. Make your mistakes with fish that can tolerate different conditions.

I definately won't be adding the Rams until after my tank has been established and running for awhile. Thank you for the helpful info. I know GBR are sensitive fish, but I have also read of people who have successfully kept them in all different types of water conditions. Maybe they were lucky and got a hardy, healthy, stock.

I currently have a 36g Bow Front, with an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and an AquaClear 50 both running. It is moderately planted with 5 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 pieces of driftwood. It is lit with a 2x24w
T5HO fixture with one 10,000k and one 6500k bulb.

German Blue Ram

here's a good care sheet on the ram. i have 2 both male that i've had for about 14 months. they are great fish but agree that they need pristine water parameters and would do better in an established tank. also you must be willing to do frequent water changes. i do 20% every 3rd day but the payoff is having something so beautiful in your tank! here's my gbr's.
German Blue Ram
German Blue Ram

sorry something happened to my pics. will try again.
36993-albums8518-picture32703.jpg

jpchin said:
sorry something happened to my pics. will try again.

That is one beautiful little guy. I love his color, and the natural flow of his fins. I'm suprised your males don't harass each other.

jpchin said:
German Blue Ram

here's a good care sheet on the ram. i have 2 both male that i've had for about 14 months. they are great fish but agree that they need pristine water parameters and would do better in an established tank. also you must be willing to do frequent water changes. i do 20% every 3rd day but the payoff is having something so beautiful in your tank! here's my gbr's.
German Blue Ram
German Blue Ram

Thanks for posting the care sheet. Yup they are a big commitment. I do my changes about every 4-5 days, not weekly like i said before. Looks like you have great success also, thats a stunning BGR! Nice work :)

There should be a dwarf cichlid forum. What does everyone else think?

That is one beautiful little guy. I love his color, and the natural flow of his fins. I'm suprised your males don't harass each other.

i have an all male tank. 2 gbr's, 7 dwarf gourami's, 2 sail fin mollies, 3 x-ray tetra's, 5 red tetra's,2 glo fish, and 2 bumblebee cat fish. everyone gets along great. no fighting ever as far as i know. i think you get the fighting when females are mixed in. then someone wants to be the alpha male. and so they fight for that title. i also like males because in most cases they are the most colorful. all i can say is that it's been working in my tank for the past 1 1/2 years. still have all the same fish.:dance: yea!

Back
Top Bottom