peek a boo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yes this mantis lives in my reef. So I buy a few more snails than most. He's just sooo cute. he'll take some shrimp right out of my hand. He'll actuall come out and cruise the front of the tank for a while.

Attachments

• mantis_001.resized.jpg
    mantis_001.resized.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 218
Mantis shrimp are beautiful, smart and interactive creatures...as long as they aren't in the main tank with the fish! Everyone who has a mantis in its own tank seems to enjoy it. I can see why, but eating out of your hand?! Be careful! :wink:

as long as they aren't in the main tank with the fish
He is. As long as he's well fed, there shouldn't be a problem. Just bought another 100 snails for that purpose. Only have a Lawn Mower, YT, Purple fire fish, and 2 lyretails, no problems yet. Only been in the tank for mos though. Time will tell.
I just like that whole natural reef approach, macros in display, predator prey kinda thing. i obviously don't want him to eat any fish, but if he does, I buy a bigger fish.

He's actually crawled onto my hand! 8O

Great pic! He looks like a keeper. :D I also love those zoos behind him. Nice color. :D

we should get someone to make this a sticky in the SW forums and call it Peek-A-Boo

Just found a Red Mantis in my tank as well. thought there was alot of noise for one mantis in my tank. he's already come out for dinner twice since I now know where he hangs out.

Crawled into your hand?!?!?!

Dude, they dont call those guys "Thumb Splitters" for nothing. I hear the big guys hit you like a .22 caliber pistol.

I don't know that I would want to be thwapt by any mantis shrimp.

The fish place in Maryland near Indian Head Hwy, orders them for the local Japanese restaurant. They are a bout 5" long and about as big around as a hot dog. ABSOLUTLY beutiful though. VERY bright gree and maroons and oranges. Wow. Sexy.

I wouldn't put my hand near one though.

I don't know that I would want to be thwapt by any mantis shrimp
I don't want to either, but I can't help myself. I have excellent insurance just in case. They just grab the shrimp and run. Used to feed my 36" Red tail catfish and pirana by hand as well.
And yes I would like to hand feed a Great White as well. However this would need to be done from the sanctity of a cage mind you, crazy not stupid. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom