Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Picture quality

Reading through this forum I've been wondering how people take such clear nice pictures of their fish/tanks. My pictures the fish are blurry and my tank looks yellow. I use my iPhone which takes fairly good pictures just not of aquaria lol. Any tips or tricks to taking clearer pictures?

Old 09-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
I don't know much about phone cameras, but I recommend just tinkering with the settings. Some people on here use really expensive cameras, and can easily take nice shots. But, as I have figured out, even a cheap little digital camera like mine can take good shots if you know how to use it. Play around with the settings, see what happens. You may be surprised

Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A fast shutter speed is pretty much a must for fish. 1/200 or faster. Getting enough light for that fast of a shutter speed is tricky, and probably isn't going to happen in a fish only tank with sub-par lighting. In a reef or planted tank, it's possible... I just set my camera to continuous shutter, 1/200, and manual focus. Out of probably 30 pics, there might be one decent one.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have a preflash option or red eye setting, that will do the trick. If not, maybe an action setting? The red eye and action setting have built in preflash(es)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah the classic continuous picture option. Well I guess I'm gunna have to upgrade my camera skills. My wife has a canon t3i but there is so many buttons and negative/positive settings I have no clue. Well thanks for the tips. I imagine a flash couldn't be the best thing for fish probably? It's just hard to get them sitting still without sleeping
Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I think trying to use a flash on an aquarium just doesn't yield good results because of all the glass/reflection. It is really hard to take a good aquarium pic with an iPhone. Most of the really quality photos you see people post come from cameras that are better equipped to handle low light/fast moving fish.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Fish R friends, not food!

If you have the option on your camera, use the manual focus and not the auto focus. The auto focus tends to focus on the surface of the glass, not the subject inside.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
picture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com