Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #791
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392001196.470009.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	221773Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392001210.521916.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	221774
I've had him since I moved to Seattle. That little Fearless fish has been my buddy on the desk/table for 3yrs now. He's reinvigorated my involvement in the fish keeping hobby...Hence 3 aquariums since.
His rimless pitcher home gets weekly 70% PWCs and has a small sponge filter.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #792

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Yeah i like it! Other people wont i got flack when i told people i kept a rescue from 2 inches of water in a bag to a .7 gallon tank...well, its the fish world....

Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #793
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

But it's not. Bettas don't live in tiny puddles. They live in rice paddies that are shallow, but miles upon miles long. They have an endless supply of fresh, clean water.

Any volume of water under 2.5 gallons is not enough to sustain a waste producing fish such as a betta. The tank can only provide so much room for beneficial bacteria to grow, and that room does not allow for enough bacteria to support the waste produced by a betta.

You are also not taking into account that bettas need filters and heaters, for water flow and a steady temperature. Those things don't fit well in such tiny space. It is also cruel, in my opinion, to not give the betta room to swim and explore.

Your betta might be better off in 0.7 gallons as opposed to 2 inches of water, but not by much. Yes the little tanks and bowls look lovely, but if you want something that looks nice, fill it with plants and put your betta in a more proper set up. They are really beautiful fish and it shows when they are happy and healthy.

Also, to stay on topic with the picture posting, here is a great little site on betta care. She has collected pictures of bettas before and after they were introduced to healthy environments. A few of my guys are on there somewhere. If you have any pictures you would like to see on the site, I think she has her email listed somewhere, or you could PM me and I'll ask her for you. There are some really beautiful boys (and girls!) here. http://k9bather.wix.com/better-betta-care#
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #794
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know, I've always wanted to give him more space to roam. If you see to the bottom left of one of the pics you'll see a 5g spec in the works. He's going in🌊.
I'm fresh out of rice patties for him to cruise, but he's looking better than the Dixie cup I found him in.
They are who you need to direct your Betta welfare passion, not me.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #795
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

That's great! He's going to love that space

I'm not trying to attack anyone. I just don't agree that tanks that small are good homes for bettas. I know we can't provide rice paddies for our fish, but the least we can do is create the best environment possible that is close to their natural habitat.

A 5 gallon gives them room to swim, and also provides enough space for a good amount of beneficial bacteria to grow and support the fish. Tanks under 2.5 gallons are impossible to cycle, so are really not acceptable for any living creature. Even a mystery snail would produce too much waste for something that small to handle.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #796

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirrie View Post
But it's not. Bettas don't live in tiny puddles. They live in rice paddies that are shallow, but miles upon miles long. They have an endless supply of fresh, clean water.

Any volume of water under 2.5 gallons is not enough to sustain a waste producing fish such as a betta. The tank can only provide so much room for beneficial bacteria to grow, and that room does not allow for enough bacteria to support the waste produced by a betta.

You are also not taking into account that bettas need filters and heaters, for water flow and a steady temperature. Those things don't fit well in such tiny space. It is also cruel, in my opinion, to not give the betta room to swim and explore.

Your betta might be better off in 0.7 gallons as opposed to 2 inches of water, but not by much. Yes the little tanks and bowls look lovely, but if you want something that looks nice, fill it with plants and put your betta in a more proper set up. They are really beautiful fish and it shows when they are happy and healthy.

Also, to stay on topic with the picture posting, here is a great little site on betta care. She has collected pictures of bettas before and after they were introduced to healthy environments. A few of my guys are on there somewhere. If you have any pictures you would like to see on the site, I think she has her email listed somewhere, or you could PM me and I'll ask her for you. There are some really beautiful boys (and girls!) here. http://k9bather.wix.com/better-betta-care#
He is going in a 4g soon
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #797
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

That's great! I'm sure he'll love it
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #798
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got a new guy today... I felt so bad for him. He's been wasting away in the cup for over a month. His tail's been falling off the entire time. But his colors are great and I can't wait to see him once he colors up and gets his tail back!

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1392153535509.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	222100   Click image for larger version

Name:	1392153544615.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	222101  

Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #799
Aquarium Advice Freak

He doesn't even look like the same fish in both of the photos....
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #800
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I wanted to ask y'all a question. How do y'all feel about the baby bettas that are sold unsexed at the pet stores? Good idea or bad?

Tags
betta, bettas, hose, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com