Show me your balls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
Marimo Moss Balls.That is...what were you thinking? :cool:

I just love Marimos but they're so expensive here. 8 dollars for a 2 inch ball. I only have one but I hope that one day it may make some babies ;) I just love looking at set-ups with Marimos so show me some! :D Jars, bowls, tanks anything is okay as long as it has a Marimo in it~!

36993-albums8518-picture32684.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37091.jpg

a few of my moss balls. i had 4 at one time but the larger ones fell apart after about 2 years. the small ones you see have been in the tank for about 2 1/2 years. still o.k. :)

I never thought I'd put my balls on the Internet...

View attachment 167210

View attachment 167212

Haha well now the whole world can see them. I love how cute and simple it is. Might I ask what those wood like things are?

My mystery snail LOVES mine :)
Awe cute. It's like a giant fluffy sail bed.

36993-albums8518-picture32684.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37091.jpg

a few of my moss balls. i had 4 at one time but the larger ones fell apart after about 2 years. the small ones you see have been in the tank for about 2 1/2 years. still o.k. :)

Marimos falling apart? D: I would be so sad to see that. I love the little statue too. haha.

Heres mine,

Iv almost cut them in half and then tied them on to a piece of lava rock, this way it makes them look like little green hills and you get the added bonus of not having to turn them regularly

Attachments

• image-1418601039.jpg
    image-1418601039.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 247
Haha well now the whole world can see them. I love how cute and simple it is. Might I ask what those wood like things are?

Sure, it's called sea fan. Those particular ones are non-living, and dried. They're polyps that grow in the ocean. It just so happens that when they're dry that they resemble miniature driftwood.

Heres mine,

Iv almost cut them in half and then tied them on to a piece of lava rock, this way it makes them look like little green hills and you get the added bonus of not having to turn them regularly

Awwe that's cute~! It makes such a lush "hill". I find that I don't turn my marimo that often. Then again, I always take it out for a squeeze each week.

Sure, it's called sea fan. Those particular ones are non-living, and dried. They're polyps that grow in the ocean. It just so happens that when they're dry that they resemble miniature driftwood.

Oh~! that's perfect :D I wanted to make a little miniture tree in my tanks so I needed something tiny and sea fan is perfect. ( albit kinda pricey and hard to find)

My marimo is getting kinda lumpy...could it be? Am I about to have some marimo babies? :brows:

image-3992036719.jpg

One of my loaches has made a 'fort' in the back of the ball on the left.....so cute.

I used to have three, but I don't have any balls anymore! I accidentally flushed one down the toilet because I stuck it in the pwc bucket while I did tank maintenance and forgot about it, then dumped the bucket into the toilet and down it went. The other two were thriving in my puffer tank when it was brackish, but I forgot to take them out when I transitioned it to full saltwater, and they died. I need to get some more, they are cool little plants.

Ok....so now I am curious. Do these moss balls actually reproduce? Why do you have to turn them, what do you feed them, what kind of lighting to do they need? Would love to put some in my new rainbow tank :)

View attachment 167991

One of my loaches has made a 'fort' in the back of the ball on the left.....so cute.

Cute. I love how the fish seem to figure out more things to do with marimos than we do!

I used to have three, but I don't have any balls anymore! I accidentally flushed one down the toilet because I stuck it in the pwc bucket while I did tank maintenance and forgot about it, then dumped the bucket into the toilet and down it went. The other two were thriving in my puffer tank when it was brackish, but I forgot to take them out when I transitioned it to full saltwater, and they died. I need to get some more, they are cool little plants.

What a sad story. I bet the teenage mutant ninja turtles have your one marimo now. XD Getting more balls seems like a good idea to me :ROFLMAO:

Ok....so now I am curious. Do these moss balls actually reproduce? Why do you have to turn them, what do you feed them, what kind of lighting to do they need? Would love to put some in my new rainbow tank :)

They propogate ( they develop like a mini version of themselves on themselves) then you can take that mini ver off and bam. a new tiny marimo. Or you could cut your marimo into smaller bits and wrap it up and it'll grow again. You turn them so that the side on the bottom gets some light too. They are a plant so they just need to "eat" light and maybe some co2 every now and then. They are really cute and easy to care for. Some people just keep them in jars on a shelf and change the water once a week.

So.....I went out and got myself a pair of balls today :D
I am going to put one in my tropical tank, and would like to put the other one in my goldie tank. Will they survive in cooler water, or should I just add them both to my tropical tank?

I am going to put one in my tropical tank, and would like to put the other one in my goldie tank. Will they survive in cooler water, or should I just add them both to my tropical tank?

Cold water is fine, some people just keep them in a bowl of water as a decoration.

They can survive in cooler water but your goldfish might try eating them or tearing them apart.

Back
Top Bottom