Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Taking a pictures of fish

Hi all,
I recently had a sick fish and was trying to take pictures of it for help with a diagnosis. I used my phone, regular digital camera and a high-end digital camera. All of these gave blurred and grainy results leading to making it impossible to get any help. Do any of you have tips on taking pics of fish? I have seen some great pictures on this forum.
Thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus
Hi all,
I recently had a sick fish and was trying to take pictures of it for help with a diagnosis. I used my phone, regular digital camera and a high-end digital camera. All of these gave blurred and grainy results leading to making it impossible to get any help. Do any of you have tips on taking pics of fish? I have seen some great pictures on this forum.
Thanks
My camera (nothing super fancy...just a Sony Cybershot) has an ISO setting for low light, high resolution. I've found that setting as well as macro (close up) mode works best for taking shots of inside the tank. Obviously flashes aren't going to be helpful with the reflection.

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good advice, thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to Show Off/Photography forum

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Forgot, thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I use one of those big nikon digital cameras, it's like 18 megapixels and it works great. It's not a pocket sized small digital, but a bigger one similar to what photographers use.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

try setting your iso to 400 and your fstop to as low as you can get like 2.0/2.8
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use one of those Nikon cameras, they capture really good photos and even things moving like 20 mph, like my fish or people playing soccer, got it for my birthday. But the only problem is that it costs...well 400$...
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The keys to getting a good picture, imo, are good lighting and fast shutter speeds. Ideally, you don't want to use a flash when taking tank pics. Fish are very active and will not "pose" for the camera so you really need fast shutter speeds. That's where the lighting comes in. The more light on the subject, the faster the shutter. You can change your ISO setting to help increase your shutter speeds but that will create more of that grainy look. Changing your f-stop to a lower "number" will also help increase your shutter speed. A large aperature opening decreases your depth of field (how much of the picture will actually be in focus). I recommend adding other sources of light to help illuminate your tank, just don't aim them directly at the glass. I would try and aim the light from the top of the tank.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com