What is this?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanmc3112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this is in my tank? There are 2 this size and they have had babies!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423509448.274163.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That my friend, is a malaysian trumpet snail. They will breed. I hope you enjoy snails!! haha

Thanks for replying, how would they have got in the tank?! Do they grow big?

They stay small. If you added any plants recently, that is the most likely cause. They lay eggs on the plants, or can even have been on the plants themselves.

They breed rather quickly, so if you have the space I would get a school of small loaches. However, if you like them, just let them breed and don't over feed too much. Your tank is a closed system which means that the amount you feed is the limiting factor in their ecosystem. Feed too much, too many snails. Feed just right, just the right amount of snails. Too many snails can screw your bioload, but having them just right is beneficial. It adds interest to the tank as well as a clean up crew that is self propagating.

Thx for all the info. I do like them but I was worried that the tank would be over run by them, I don't like them that much!

Think over feeding is something I'm doing so will have to watch that, if I can keep them to a small number I'll be happy!

I would catch em all and let my puffer have them. Or a nice group of loaches would be cool. Kuhli's are nice. Anyway, they will infest the tank, but it may not seem like it because they live under the gravel and only come out at night.

Nils

Thx nils, If I remove them all will that have any effects for worse in my tank or will it be ok?

Your tank will be fine if you remove them all. You will have to keep an eye on it though as they can lay eggs.

Yea, agreed with icy death. Won't have a negative effect. They don't really even make a big difference when they're in there. Just scrape or siphon out the eggs with a pipet, but there will always be some in there. You'll just have take them out manually every now and then, not a big deal.

Nils

If you are overfeeding there will be a lot, but they won't add much to the bioload that you arent adding with food. Just take a few out when you think there are too many and you will be fine. :)

MTS are live bearing snails. Since they burrow, they do a good job turning over the substrate as the search for food. They work well in a planted tank because vacuuming the substrate is sometimes not an option. I've had them in my planted tank for about 2 years. I see quite a few of them but unlike pond snails they stayed buried part of the time.

Thanks for all the advice, I counted 16 baby ones so time to get some out! Trip to the fish store to buy something ?

Back
Top Bottom