108 gallon stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanpat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i will be building my 6' aquarium stand this weekend.. i will try to take some pics to share with everyone...

Thanks! I have a 6 foot tank that I am refurbishing. I need to build a stand for it so I will be watching!

well i have a few pics of my stand ... just started , it is far from done i am waiting for some sheets of wood to arrive at the lumber store where i ordered it from.. i am not sure how to post my pics , can anyone help? i am not sure how to transfer them from my sd card to this site... thanks

I look forward to seeing your photos.. cause my little baby is going to become a toddler soon and I need to keep her hands out! Maybe you could put the photos on flickr and just post a link from the forum? Anyway look forward to seeing the result

I forgot to say that we have a 35 gallon tank sitting on a coffee table at home ... just the right height for a toddler to get their hand in! I need to build a new taller stand and would appreciate hearing how you go!

hi, i started my stand and made the main base out of 4"x4' treated wood and with 2"x4" lumber. i am waiting for some mdf sheets so that i can make some raised panel doors and for the canopy also. i took some pics of my progress so far and hope to have them on as soon as possible . im still not sure how to put them on this site ....i will ask my girlfriend to help me later today when she finishes work...PAT

Watch out for the treated lumber. I've worked with it numerous times as a carpenter.

It can really warp, bend, and twist after awhile! I've seen a 4"x4" warp at much as several inches from one end to the other. And it happened in less than a year.
:eek2:

Still waiting for pics! :D

Dave

Just checked out flikr... looking good! I like the simple but very sturdy construction and the great jointing! A job to be proud of! I look forward to seeing a photo of the finished product

:)thanks for the compliments!!!!!!! as soon as my other wood arrives i will finish my stand.. i am anxious to see the finished product also... and then i can order my 6' aquarium. the woman at the pet shop is just waiting for my phone call.... i cant wait to set it up....:D:D:D PAT

i am going to finish it with a kind of plastic paint, i will be painting it all black... the silicone of the aquarium is black and i would like to match it al the same colour....PAT;

i am hoping to keep on with my stand on the weekend...the next step is what brings out its beauty.... as soon as i have pics i will post them...

FWIW - pressure treated wood will shrink as it dries out....up to 1/4" on each side. You will need to keep this in mind if you are making precise joints with this.

Also - if you plan on painting/staining/finishing pressure treated wood - you wil need to give it 3-4 months to dry out before you apply any coating. If you do not do this, the chemicals used to pressure treat the wood will try to escape and cause the paint/stain/finish to blister.

Again - FWIW. I work in construction and have seen this happen all of the time.....mostly with people building decks and wanting to stain them as soon as the work is done.....only to have to strip and refinish a few months later because the stain blistered off.

I would install some cross bracing where you can to prevent the 4x4's from twisting as well.

;) here are the latest pics of my stand.. its coming slowly but surely....:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• 100_2228.jpg
    100_2228.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_2229.jpg
    100_2229.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2230.jpg
    100_2230.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_2231.jpg
    100_2231.jpg