10G DIY CO2 diffusers/reactors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are some of your setups for a small tank like a 10G. I found some reactors, but they are so big for a 10G, and wouldn't look very good. Was thinking of using a internal powerhead, run it out of the tank to an inline reactor, then back into the tank. I'm just not very good with DIY things, lol. And I need to run my DIY CO2 to 2 tanks as well. Currently have 1 2L bottle going, and may need to up it to 2 when I get the 2nd tank going. So, please post some of your reactor/diffuser setups for small tanks. :)

I'm using 2 x 1 Liter bottles to generate CO2. A ViaAqua 180 water pump (80GPH) to pump water to a DIY Inline Reactor and back to the tank. The Inline reactor is both smaller diameter and shorter than the standard Inline Reactors. Full stats and measurements on the Reactor can be found here. I get comparable results on the 10 gallon to what I initially got on the smaller tanks.

On my 10 g I started by just using the HOB but didn't like the noise associated with the system. I then built a a reactor for a 20 long and of course had the problem of bulk. I ended up making a scaled down version using a small pump and it works great. Still a little bulky but not too bad. I adjusted the water flow so that I don't blast any bubbles out the end. Only the smallest of bubbles ever make it out anyway because it is vertical they usally just tumble in the current below the outflow until dissolved. I started to make a set up like you described but then thought at that point might as well set up 5g sump set up and move the heater and ditch the HOB on the ten gallon. .

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=78921

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/TravisH/IM000393-1.jpg

In one tank I inject into the return line from the sump. As Lepomis said this isn't so far removed from an out of tank reactor. The total water volume is a little over 10gals and I use 2 2L bottles. (I also have outgassing due to layout.)

In a 10g I inject into a Hydor Pico powerhead, which is noisy, but its actually become more like white noise to me. The pump is on the same timer as the main lights. This tank has 2 1L bottles.

Another 10g is a ~med/ambient sunlit tank, and it used to get CO2 from Hagen ladder, injected into the media compartment of an empty Cascade 100 filter, and then an empty Nano filter. I used 2 1L bottles and just thought of the CO2 as a bonus, so did not take efficiency or regular mix changes seriously.
Currently have 1 2L bottle going, and may need to up it to 2 when I get the 2nd tank going.
I may misunderstand, and I have not tried this, but if your plan is to use one set of DIY CO2 bottles for multiple tanks, I'm not so sure it'll work. I suspect since the pressure/output is not constant and there is no resistence to the line, most of the gas will go to whichever diffusor has the path of least resistance.

Better may be a manifold and separate needle valves, so you can branch your pressurized CO2 to multiple tanks while controlling levels. Rex Grigg's prices seem reasonable and he'll give advice: http://rexgrigg.com/sale.html Also, with pressurized you know glass diffusors will work.

Back
Top Bottom