220g in wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetmech2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I put my aquarium in the wall, do I need to put plastic on the sheet rock so that the sheet rock won't deteriorate, or would I have to make the whole wall out of wood and stain it?

austinsdad said:
I recently framed my wall for a tank. On all four sides, there is only 2 x4's

Hadn't finished. With the wood only exposed to the tank, I'm thinking polyurethane coating on those. I have no drywall on the backside of the tank/inside the framed wall. I think I'm relying on that setup. Glad you made me think of it!

Depends on construction and proximity. Salt creep occurs at the top of the tank as water is constantly moving there. If there is only lumber at the openings of the tank. Again, your construction is key. Seal the drywall in the area and don't have any of it with exposed cuts and you'd be fine.

Separate issue, but any in-wall tank should be accessible from the other side, it makes maintenance SOO much easier.

I got a 36x15 cabinet face to go just above my 4' tank. The drywall surrounding the face/viewing side will have some kinda frame. Window casing maybe. Dunno yet. maybe even some kinda clear angle to make it cleaner looking. Framed both the tank and cabinet face. All the wood on the inside of that wall will be polyurethaned also. Drywall too I guess.

Use wonderboard or some kind of drywall intended for a bathroom. It'll hold up to the moisture better.

+1 BigJim. It does cost a bit more but way less than getting your drywall all full of mold and then having to tear it all back out to redo it.

Back
Top Bottom